Brad Brighton

Canceling "haze removal" doesn't stop analysis of scene

I suspect this is a more general situation and what's described here is just one instance of a broader behavior.

1. Take an image file (I used a RAW develop result). I've seen no indication it is image-specific except for the complexity of the scene analysis so that the operation isn't "instant"
  2. Apply the "Haze removal..." filter - the Analyzing scene progress sheet should show
  3. Cancel the operation from the floating dialog
  4. Remain blocked until the analysis completes as it would have without the cancel

Demonstrated on 1.6.11 and 1.7.0.120 beta.

https://bmb.photos Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme, including paper outputTools: macOS (Primary: Mojave, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: X), Epson

7 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Brad Brighton,

I cannot replicate this here. Can you please attach a screen recording of this in action?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@GabrielM Sure thing. Attached, as is the CR2 file used.

For the screen capture, all I did was open the CR2 and "Develop", no changes. Then the screen recording picks up.

2D7A9689.CR2

https://bmb.photos Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme, including paper outputTools: macOS (Primary: Mojave, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: X), Epson

On Windows the ESC key cancels the Haze Analysis dialogue

I always assumed the Cancel button was just there so you could cancel the effect, if you did not like it, once the Haze had been fully applied.

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

On Windows the ESC key cancels the Haze Analysis dialogue

I always assumed the Cancel button was just there so you could cancel the effect, if you did not like it, once the Haze had been fully applied.

@carl123 Yes, that's the general usage.

I don't know about Windows but on the Mac in addition to the dialog, there is a modal sheet that presents the indeterminate progress bar. When that is shown, other operations are blocked in that window.

From a "consistent UI perspective", if an operation is uninterruptible, the option to cancel should be disabled until cancel can be executed. If the operation is interruptible, cancel should completely terminate it. The current implementation is "halfway" in-between right now. It's not the only place in the app this occurs and is commonly a side-effect of spinning off background threads to do long-lived operations (a good thing) without specifically monitoring the UI for state changes (a less good thing).