You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line styles around frames

1 hour ago, Spoiler said:

I would like to select from various line styles for use around a frame, i.e. double lined or triple lined - and I did not succeed. The panel offers only a limited number of styles. However, please let me know howto.

Hi @Spoiler,

you can achieve something like this in the appearance panel. Just add multiple strokes. The trick is that you have to use white strokes for the white part of the design because there are no multiple outline strokes (yet).

See attached file.

d.

multiple-stroke.afdesign

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

27 minutes ago, dominik said:

you can achieve something like this in the appearance panel. Just add multiple strokes. The trick is that you have to use white strokes for the white part of the design because there are no multiple outline strokes (yet).

The other trick is that (at least for now) one must use Designer, as Publisher does not have the Appearance panel. But that's a good solution if one has Designer, and we may find that it will work in Publisher, too, for users who own Designer, when Serif activates the other Personas in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

The other trick is that (at least for now) one must use Designer, as Publisher does not have the Appearance panel. 

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I made this in AD :$

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Danke fuer die schnellen Antworten. Das ist ja lustig, ich bin nur etwa eine Autostunde von Hamburg entfernt, deshalb:

Moin Moin dominik!

What you suggested won't work with colored paper. I want to see the paper color where you have white (or whatever else). Perfect calibrated machines and a color-system may be of help at that point. Anyhow, please do not overlook that:

- the paper color varies production batch by production batch
- there are papers with mixed colors or structured papers

According to my understanding multiple frames is some kind of a workaround, but it is time consuming compared with simply selecting from a variation of existing styles.

I could understand if this subject should be of secondary priority to the programmers, but I would appreciate a confirmation that the number of implemented line styles will be blown up.

THANKS to all involved.

1 hour ago, Spoiler said:

What you suggested won't work with colored paper.

Moin @Spoiler,

there are several users from Hamburg here in the forum.

I know that my suggestion is only just a workaround that especially with different coloured backgrounds won't work. I just thought it's better than nothing :)

About the future implementation of multiple frames is something I have no knowledge of, nor have I read anything. The fact that there is already the appearance panel that allows multiple strokes and fills let's me hope for something like this :)

Cheers,
d.

9 minutes ago, Spoiler said:

What you suggested won't work with colored paper. I want to see the paper color where you have white (or whatever else). Perfect calibrated machines and a color-system may be of help at that point. Anyhow, please do not overlook that:

- the paper color varies production batch by production batch
- there are papers with mixed colors or structured papers

It's a little more flexible than @dominik demonstrated. For example, you can use different layer blending modes on the strokes. Here's a slight modification of dominik's file where I used the Erase blend mode for the white stroke:

image.png.0e76379c0d55cbbeda1a69ca7225cdd1.png

Or, switching the background to transparent:

image.png.9915a763caed0295f0ba9f5552ccb8ad.png

multiple-stroke2.afdesign

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4