You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove lighting effect on tile to create a texture for 3d rendering

Hi - Newbie to Affinity and photo-editing in general here.

I do 3D bathroom design work but sometimes the only tile images we can get have lighting effects applied to them. When used in 3d, this looks dreadful!

How can I remove this lighting effect coming from the top left corner to give an even brightness to the tile?

I can then apply lighting in my 3D model to give the effect I want.

Many thanks, Laurence

Only tile image available

615085909_CS2136-6030ViewOffWhite.thumb.jpg.e673c8ba9775da45bc5186ebcadac525.jpg

Looks awful when tiled to the wall in 3D

78447350_Onwall.JPG.2613599e54de5b2fabed08e5cf2b2423.JPG

Even tile shading shown from a promo shot

140340360_Evenshadingtotilehere.JPG.cd1460c1ca37979e46072eda4a85dc66.JPG

• Staff

Hi laurencem,

Welcome to the forums :)

I recommend following the below video and stopping when you get to the offset part as that doesn't apply to this case. I followed it using your image and managed to get pretty satisfactory results. I imagine with more time to fiddle with the specifics you'd be able to get an even better result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZWU8vHCY4C

1840321210_CS2136-6030ViewOffWhite.jpg.8f1cc22eafc7af9c629baaa2a6e9e37b.jpg

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

In situations like this, I would simply take your tile and just flip and rotate the tiles to make a repeating and symmetrical pattern across the wall.  Usually, I can't be bothered to do it the correct way.

tilesfin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Many thanks everyone.

@Callum, I'll try that later - I assume the commands in Affinity are basically the same as PS? Addendum - It just clicked that you have done it for me!!!!!! Thank you very much indeed!!!!!

@carl123 In the software I use, it's a bit of pain to do that unfortunately. It's Virtual Worlds - specific for bathroom and kitchen design as it contains lots of pre-modelled branded items but it's very inflexible. I'm sure I could work it using it's advanced tiling templates but I really want to be able to fix the issue at source.

Edited by laurencem
General stupidity!!!