You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linking images doesn't decrease file size

Hey everyone!

When opening Document, Resource Manager, selecting all files and setting them to linked, my document will still be at 109,3MB file size. In fact, before linking the unlinked images, the file had 108MB. So linking even increases file size by a small amount. The Resource Manager will show them as linked and Publisher will report errors when renaming a file. It just doesn't decrease file size. And even when Publisher cannot fint a file, it is still being displayed, instead of an error frame, which I would expect.
Is this a known issue? It seems it shouldn't be since there is a tutorial on the website for this.
I am using High Sierra.

Best wishes,
Shu

Well, I would have been glad to not do the work of typing in the words for my post. If I actually found a topic on this. I did use the forum search before creating this topic and I found nothing. I entered several different keyword combinations with this issue not showing up. Eventually, the forum blocked my searches, because I seemed to search fast enough to be considered a potential threat. Then, I even searched the first few pages for the keyword "link" or "linked", without finding this issue. But I was not going to search 70 of those pages. Even now, after reading this post, I tried doing the same again, without any results. I don't know how I should have searched for this, but it certainly doesn't seem easy to find. I guess I just carry on with 100MB files then. High Sierra does store file delta information after all for backups.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, shushustorm said:

I found nothing.

Possibly you did not force to combine all keywords? It's a little hidden in the search. It seems for each selection you have to open this window by clicking in the search text field.

1397198696_searchoptions.jpg.a802dcaa2723b6b74961a026798b8dc0.jpg

So, for instance a search for "embed file size" shows some topics related to the embedded vs. linked issue and to the documents file size:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=embed file size&type=forums_topic&nodes=57&search_and_or=and

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, thomaso said:

Possibly you did not force to combine all keywords? It's a little hidden in the search. It seems for each selection you have to open this window by clicking in the search text field.

Thanks for pointing out! I expected the search to automatically sort by posts that include more keywords, but I guess that's not the case then.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, thomaso said:

You're also offered that option at the top of the search results list (and that's often where I make use of it):

image.png.7f2cdcd1b8ddc389707894969a504029.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.