You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

menu Edit > Create Style

The menu entry "Create style" appears not to do anything.

Since it doesn't have tripple dots ("create style ...") which in mac OS informs about following options window (for instance to define the new style), I would assume this command does anything immediately, at least related to my momentary selection, either frame or text.

In case there is an action going on I, sorry, can't see it; I would expect a new occurence in the style panel at least.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On Windows, I don't see Edit > Create Style at all:

edit-menu.png.5df842c38a28faa7c219fc68e532e0ea.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Aha. What does your menu "Help" say about "create style"?

(in your Edit menu are Preferences..., which are in Mac under "Affinity Publisher Beta")

@thomaso

I'm running Publisher 1.7.0.293 on Mac OS 10.13.6. 

The menu item Edit > Create Style appears to have no function, but it actually creates graphic styles for objects (what Adobe calls "Object Styles").

Try this:

• Style an object with a gradient fill and drop shadow from the Layer Effects menu.
  • Then make sure that your Styles panel is showing View > Studio > Styles
  • Select your styled object.
  • Select the menu item Edit > Create Style.

You should see that a new graphic style for objects gets added to the Styles panel capturing the style attributes you applied to your original object.

I do think that the nomenclature could be clearer to distinguish between Text Styles and Object Styles. The Styles panel should be renamed to "Object Styles", and the Edit menu item in question should read Edit > Create Object Style.

Moreover, one should find a Create Object Style menu item within the [Object] Styles panel menu list.

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 5.06.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 5.27.09 PM.png

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

What does your menu "Help" say about "create style"?

Only the following:

Under the section on the Styles panel, it mentions:

• Create Style from Selection, on the hamburger menu for the Styles panel; and
  • Right-clicking an object and choosing Create Style from the right-click context menu.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

The menu item Edit > Create Style appears to have no function, but it actually creates graphic styles for objects (what Adobe calls "Object Styles"). 

Mark, thank you!

Is it correct (and useful?) that one can use this function to create a style for text formatting, too? It appears I can save font, size, line space, kerning etc. in such an object style – but have "no styles" remaining active in the text style menu. If this behavour is in purpose it is confusing at least.

12 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Moreover, one should find a Create Object Style menu item within the [Object] Styles panel menu list. 

There already is an according menu item, called "Add style from selection".

1587111887_objectstylemenuaddstylefromselection.jpg.61f1338fe68435bf41c874f2aa39e87d.jpg

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Is it correct (and useful?) that one can use this function to create a style for text formatting, too? It appears I can save font, size, line space, kerning etc. in such an object style – but have "no styles" remaining active in the text style menu. If this behavour is in purpose it is confusing at least.

Styles and Text Styles are different things.

But yes, you can create a Style from a Text Frame, and later you can apply that Style to another Text Frame.

Text Styles can only set the characteristics of the text within a Text Frame. Styles set the characteristics of the Text Frame itself (Fill, Stroke) and defaults for the characteristics of the text that will be added to a new Text Frame (font, font size, centering, etc.).

So there is some overlap, and yes it can be confusing. But it can also be useful.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

So there is some overlap, and yes it can be confusing. But it can also be useful.

@Walt, thank you. I still need to get used to these freedoms. They become even more complex if you combine an Object Style with "Decorations" of Paragraph Pane to format the frame (text background, frame border), too. Plus with a table format ...

15 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I do think that the nomenclature could be clearer to distinguish between Text Styles and Object Styles. The Styles panel should be renamed to "Object Styles", and the Edit menu item in question should read Edit > Create Object Style.

Agree.

The "styles" feature is not bad, but has a lot of room for improvement; I think some of the current behavior derives from the fact that it has been available in Designer for a while now and probably makes a bit more sense there the way it exists at present.

While not quite as pressing as various other features for the first releases, I do hope to see this built on in future versions.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.