Andyneu

[Fixed] Raw files from 77d "CR2" without Color

If i open a Rawfile (Canon 77d) with APhoto the picture has no Colors. You can´t fixed it. If you try to fixed it the picture will be blue or green but ther is no point where you can say this is okay.

This is oppend with APhoto and result

image.thumb.png.53145c8566cba5df95493adb29ee356e.png

This is oppend with DPP and result

image.thumb.png.c08071182e73bad67f43f2f265affe59.png

These are the same Files.

If you have an idea for the solution, I would be glad to hear it.
As you can safely read my English is not the best. Is there anyone who can translate from German into English? Then it would be easier for me to describe the problem aptly.
Many Thanks

IMG_0974.CR2

IMG_0984.CR2

IMG_0996.CR2

@Andyneu I'm not Serif but your problem description was interesting so I took a look. It seems that DPP is making corrections for you (as it did for me). Affinity Photo isn't automatically applying any curves, so I did a quick test to make curves match (visually matching, so the results are approximate). The results are similar, so DPP (or camera processing) seems to be doing work for you (even if is not obvious).

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 12.40.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 12.44.39 PM.png

https://bmb.photos Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme, including paper outputTools: macOS (Primary: Mojave, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: X), Epson

Yeah I tried yesterday for 45 min to create this in Affintyphoto. I did not manage this result.
Please tell me how / what you did.
My versions were ever blue green or gray.
What kind of system Mac/Win do you use?
Do you think that you get a little better on your result? Or is that the best thing you can do with Affinityphoto?

Greeting Andyneu

@Andyneu I did not really spend any time on it; I'm sure it could have had a much better result. All I was doing was seeing whether the "Curves" was part of what you described as a difference between the two apps.

What did I do?

In the "Develop" persona in APh (what happens when opening the RAW file), I went to the Tones tab, Curves tool (see the right hand side of the 2nd screenshot). I visually approximated what I saw in the DPP curves (see the first screenshot for the DPP tab and settings -- with no changes from me, these were what DPP automatically used).

I'm on macOS Mojave. I happened to use the Affinity Photo 1.7 beta but that's not important. The Tones/Curves tools are in the same place in 1.6.x.

I've attached an afphoto file as well here. During develop, I modified curves as I mention above, I changed saturation and vibrance, nudged black point up slightly, and changed exposure by one stop BEFORE finishing the development and moving to the Photo Persona. In this example, I made all the changes in Develop and zero changes in Photo.

IMG_0984.afphoto

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 2.46.48 PM.png

https://bmb.photos Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme, including paper outputTools: macOS (Primary: Mojave, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: X), Epson

Hi all,

The result is half-expected. EOS 77D is not on our supported list for 1.6 (hence the wrong colours). However, it is supported in 1.7 beta as @>|< pointed out. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@Brad Brighton

But I'm still light years away from your result.  This clarity in the picture is missing from me.  I just can not get that disgusting yellow tone out. Since you have delivered a great result! Excellent! You are sure that the same result with version 1.6.135 is also possible?

6 hours ago, Andyneu said:

@Brad Brighton

But I'm still light years away from your result.  This clarity in the picture is missing from me.  I just can not get that disgusting yellow tone out. Since you have delivered a great result! Excellent! You are sure that the same result with version 1.6.135 is also possible?

@Andyneu,

@GabrielM points out that there's a camera support change in the beta. Since using the beta version is free if you've purchased the release version, my first suggestion would be to try that and see if things are easier for you.

Still, the afphoto file (and screenshot) I posted previously (and the one attached here) are v1.6.11 (macOS, Affinity Store version, which I think-but-am-not-completely-certain is the same as 135). "Save History" is turned on for the save so you can see part of what was done (the RAW develop steps are not saved individually during this process, unfortunately). I'm using the Serif RAW engine for this so I would expect that you should be able to accomplish the same adjustments I do.

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 8.13.31 AM.png

IMG_0984_2.afphoto

I have tested the AffinityPhoto 1.7.0.293 beta. The raw editing for the canon 77d images is many times better. The colors are displayed correctly from the beginning and the editing is now much better and more effective. Actually, this must even be made available to all who now have the current version 1.6.135 because only then you have a chance to edit these Raws well. I have only been tested for a short time with the beta but imagine that the processing is faster. I will continue to test in the next few days and then report back and report