You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text and Index Frames split numbers.

I have noted that both text frames and index frames will wrap around entire words and will not split a word into two lines and will not put a dangling comma starting a next line (keeps the word and the comma together always) and will not allow a dangling space to start a next line.  

However, numbers are being split across two lines both in text frames and in index frames and a comma or a single space (such as found between index page numbers) may end up starting a next line both in text frames and index frames.

I believe that these are bugs or broken features; that numbers (with commas and spaces) that wrap around to another line should be treated the same as alphabetic characters (and not split between lines ever) and commas and spaces should not be starting a line that has wrapped around. I have not found any way to control this from the UI.

Here is one example that I have in an index (and confirmed that it has a similar problem when formatted separately in a text frame with the default "body" style).

(Example shows the split page number "60" on the first line of page numbers, and the dangling space starting the next to last line and a dangling comma starting the last line of page numbers).

Photo 

ii, 5, 18, 20, 21, 22, 29–31, 34, 40–42, 44, 45, 56, 6

0, 66, 67, 70, 71, 73, 78, 98, 99, 115–117, 119, 123,

126, 155, 173, 189, 190, 191, 193–195, 197, 200, 206

, 207, 212, 221

A quirk that is unusual to me: if the number of pages for an indexed item are few, then the item and the page numbers are all on the same line. If the number of pages is larger than will fit on the first line, then all of the page numbers start on the line after the indexed item (as shown above). I would think it more efficient and consistent-looking to always start the page numbers on the same line as the indexed item (as is possible if the indexed item itself is not too long) and then wrap around to the second and subsequent lines as needed. Is there a compelling reason for this inconsistency between a short page number list and a long page number list?

Thanks for any information on how to control the formatting or confirm if these are bugs.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.