You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very nice picture and all that. . .I just wish I could tell what the hell was going on!

Don't mind these speeded up videos - the only problem for any learner like myself who likes to see other peoples techniques is that they are too fast to be instructive.

Great picture though. ;)

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

2 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Very nice picture and all that. . .I just wish I could tell what the hell was going on!

Don't mind these speeded up videos - the only problem for any learner like myself who likes to see other peoples techniques is that they are too fast to be instructive.

Great picture though. ;)

42 minutes ago, mattitfi said:

Ah I see, you're right about that part... The only thing is that sharing the videos with normal speed would easily get boring for those who just want to see the creation progress, from start to finish... :)

As @AffinityJules says, great picture!

There is a speed control (accessed via the gearwheel icon) to speed up or slow down playback, but I think it would be beneficial to have a slightly slower default speed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

There is a speed control (accessed via the gearwheel icon) to speed up or slow down playback, but I think it would be beneficial to have a slightly slower default speed.

That sounds useful, I didn't know you could do that because I never had cause to slow a video down before.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

1 hour ago, mattitfi said:

I've started to do some live-streaming as well! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZi4z6jJKbM

That's recording from today's session, with normal speed of course... :)

Ah. . .interesting. :)

I went over to YouTube and watched your recorded live stream, many techniques you used I already know but there was one which left me wondering how it was done.

When you created the 2 white circles and used the blur tool on the one behind to create that dense cloud effect what type of brush did you use? I tried to replicate what you did for experimental purposes but the technique did not work for me. So I figured that the brush you used was customised to your needs. I messed about with brush settings for a while but I still couldn't get that effect.

So how did you do it? 

Hey Jules, I'm not 100% what you meant but I'll show how I make those "clouds"...

So I use Affinity's "Spray-8" brush (Spray-paint brushes), with Smudge brush tool:

828235948_Huomautus2019-04-26105022.thumb.jpg.ac4eefbfb84804017954a60061ca0618.jpg

So basically I make a white areas with "normal" brush, then smudge it with the spray brush. I hope this helps  :)

2 hours ago, mattitfi said:

Hey Jules, I'm not 100% what you meant but I'll show how I make those "clouds"...

So I use Affinity's "Spray-8" brush (Spray-paint brushes), with Smudge brush tool:

828235948_Huomautus2019-04-26105022.thumb.jpg.ac4eefbfb84804017954a60061ca0618.jpg

So basically I make a white areas with "normal" brush, then smudge it with the spray brush. I hope this helps  :)

Yes, that explains it and thanks for that - I was using a normal brush and obviously that's why it didn't work.

I called them clouds because I didn't know how else to describe them. But that's ok.