You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do I Set the Ruler for Inches Permanently?

57 minutes ago, PghArtist said:

Affinity defaults on pixels for the ruler measurement.

Not quite correct. The ruler units are the same as the document units. When you create a document (File > New) you can select the units that you want to use.

You do not have that option, though, when opening existing image files (JPG, etc.), and there is no preference to set it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You do not have that option, though, when opening existing image files (JPG, etc.), and there is no preference to set it.

However, you can change the document units at any time in Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer -- just select the View (Hand) tool & change them in the "Units:" popup menu in the context toolbar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

I'd like to request a priority feature allowing users to set the default when a file opens. Having to change the units from pixels in 100% of the third party files that I open is tedious.

I'd also like to be able to set the default tool for files to the Move Tool. I've in fact removed the hand tool from my toolbar in hope it would stop using that as the default.

Edited by APEGamer
Adding detail

22 minutes ago, APEGamer said:

I'd like to request a priority feature ...

You would do that by posting new topics in the appropriate Feature Request forum (one topic per new function) or by finding existing topics there that ask for these functions and concurring with them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

It would be nice to have a setting in Preferences to set a default unit of measurement.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

44 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It would be nice to have a setting in Preferences to set a default unit of measurement.

Do you mean one that overrides a saved document's unit if it already has one?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean one that overrides a saved document's unit if it already has one?

No one that maintains a unit for new documents

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

41 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

No one that maintains a unit for new documents

If you have a common document size you use, you can create your own Preset for File > New with the units you want, or use a Template instead of a Preset.

-- Walt
PC: