You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Load error using Publisher Beta 293

Hi, 

loaded a previously generated Publisher file into Publisher Beta 293 and made some editorial changes and saved it.  Saved a backup copy then loaded the backup copy. An Error message occurred. Error.PNG.e26b92c1be7d08e75b4967d21c4cdde2.PNG

I closed both files and then re-opened the original, no problem. Re-opened the backup and the same error message popped up. I closed Publisher, deleted the backup copy and re-started Publisher and loaded the master file. I then saved it with a new name.  When I tried to open that file, the error message again popped up.  I closed Publisher again and re-started it.  This time when I loaded the backup, no error message occurred but the error message popped up again when I closed the backup file and then re-opened it.

Pman

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition 4GB Ram  
Processor AMD E1-7010 APU running at 1.5GHz  + AMD Radeon R2 Graphics
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135      Affinity Photo 1.6.5.1235
Affinity Designer Beta 293 Affinity Publisher Beta 293,  Affinity Photo Beta 293

Hi Jon.
Thank you for your reply.

Have uploaded the file as requested. For more information I have now upgraded to Beta 305 and thought that the problem had been gone away as I hadf  loaded my original, called 3ingredient recipes.afpub. I then  a saved a backup copy of my original  and called it 3ingredient recipesc.afpub and it loaded ok.  However, tonight I have saved a backupcopy as 3ingredients recipesb.afpub which is what I'd called the backup when using Beta 293.  That file (downloaded to Dropbox via your link) has again given me the same error message although the file size of the original and the two copies appear to be identical. It's almost like there is something about the file name that causes the problem

Pman

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition 4GB Ram 
Processor AMD E1-7010 APU running at 1.5GHz  + AMD Radeon R2 Graphics
Affinity Designer Beta 305 Affinity Publisher Beta 293,  Affinity Photo Beta 293

• Staff

Hmm, at the moment I don't see any error message when opening the file you uploaded, to confirm you get the error message in your initial post each time you open the file you sent me?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

I've found, tonight, that there is no error message when I first open the file in fact no error message when I closed and opened the file several times but IF I SAVE the file with a different name and then open that copy, the error message appears again every time I try opening the copied file whilst this session of Publisher is still open. However if I close Publisher and re-open it then reload the file that was giving  the error message, then no error message appears. It seems, therefore, that some sort of error occurs within Publisher, triggered by the Save command.  In fact I have just tried to save then reload the saved file again and this time Publisher has frozen whilst trying to load the saved file, forcing me to abort Publisher using Task Manager.  Upon reloading Publisher, that file was then able to be successfully loaded.  Perhaps the error is just on my computer, but I can replicate it using the file downloaded to you.  I next tried loading a much simpler 3 page publication which would load and reload with no problem BUT if saved to a file with different name, then that saved file gives the same error message when loaded in the same session of Publisher.  Hope that this information gives you something that you can replicate and then inform the team.  

Overall I am very pleased with the way Publisher has worked and, although I've used PagePlus  (since it came out on a single 3.5" diskette!) I am looking forward to the time that Publisher will be made available as a  full programme.  Because of my long time use of PagePlus, it took me some time to adapt to the way Publisher works , but now I find it harder to work with PagePlus and will have no hesitation in making the final change

Pman

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition 4GB Ram  Processor AMD E1-7010 APU running at 1.5GHz  + AMD Radeon R2 Graphics
Affinity Designer Beta 305 Affinity Publisher Beta 293,  Affinity Photo Beta 293

Hi Jon,

Having replied yesterday outlining how the error message appears when loading a saved copy during the same session, but the error message doesn't appear if I close and re-open Publisher then load the same file, I thought I'd try out the same modus on a different older laptop, so I loaded Publisher beta and updated it to Beta 305.  I opened the file successfully, saved it with a different name, closed the file then re-opened it. Immediately on loading the saved copy, the error message about issues appeared.  Closing Publisher, re-loading Publisher and opening the file that had caused the generation of  the error message resulted in no error message, nor did it occur if I simply closed the file, then re-opening it.  Therefore as I indicated last night, this seems to be an error which is caused by saving a file, then closing the file and re-opening it in the same working session of Publisher

Pman

tried now on Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit, Intel Pentium P6000 @1.87 GHz, 8GB memory, Affinity Publisher Beta 305

• Staff

I've been loading and re-saving this file and have yet to actually see the message appear.

If you can constantly reproduce this can you record it and upload it? I'm intrigued if i'm missing a step or this is only on your setup.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

I've been trying to recreate the problem today for over an hour it doesn't seem that the error message  is appearing at the moment.  I have, however, encountered a different problem while using Windows 10 Games recorder to record the process. Now when trying to load the saved copy, Publisher froze, but I think that this a conflict with Windows 10 Game Recorder as it doesn't happen when I do the same operation without Windows 10 Game Recorder running. I have sent that file [Affinity Publisher file load freeze.mp4] to your Dropbox link  but I notice that my actions saving a file with a new name, closing the file and then reloading it don't show up in the recording.  Thank you for your time and help.  If I find it happening again, I will try and record it using a different screen recorder

On a different note, have you seen the error that BGSvM posted under the heading Master Pages not applied correctly on facing pages when inserting or moving single pages?

To reproduce the error: Set up a document with facing pages, starting and ending with single pages. Make a master page with items on left and right pages of spread. Now insert a single page or move the last page before the double pages. The master page items are now swapped left to right on the double page. Adding more pages increase the confusion. Document attached as example.

LRSwap.afpub

I have tried what he has talked about and sent him/her a reply noting that inserting a single page results in pages afterwards having TWO copies of the master page applied instead of 1

Pman

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition 4GB Ram  Processor AMD E1-7010 APU running at 1.5GHz  + AMD Radeon R2 Graphics
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135      Affinity Photo 1.6.5.1235
Affinity Designer Beta 305 Affinity Publisher Beta 293,  Affinity Photo Beta 293

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.