You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An old fixed problem rears it's head again.

1.6.5.123 Affinity Photo, has reverted back to holding the size to 72 DPI in the EXIF file after being set at 300 DPI in Development. This problem appeared to be fixed in the updated programme and was working satisfactorily, converting from 72 to 300 DPI in both the development on screen and in the EXIF file. Probably the problem reverted in the last week or so. It explains why one of the Photography sites that I use began rejecting my photographs as having the MB smaller than one I had set. The BETA programme is holding the MB setting to that set during development and in the EXIF file, so seems to be OK. However, that has not been released for normal use as yet.

Could you check it, please?

What do you mean by the MB setting? Is this the size in MegaBytes? If so, then how has this been affected by setting the DPI value? Changing the DPI should just set an internal flag and not affect the file size.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

52 minutes ago, heskphotography said:

[the beta version] has not been released for normal use as yet

You are free to use the beta for real projects if you’re happy with the results you’re getting. Serif is simply warning us that we may lose our work.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, heskphotography said:

1.6.5.123 Affinity Photo, has reverted back to holding the size to 72 DPI in the EXIF file after being set at 300 DPI in Development.

1.6.5.123 has not been changed since its release, and cannot have "reverted".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Affinity Photo programme before the update, was as I have described, the DPI was held at 72 no matter what I tried to change it to. I had to use another photo sizing programme to obtain 300 DPI and keep it at that. After the last updated version, I could change the DPI from 72 to 300 and 300 was retained in the EXIF file, which meant that it was retained on export to the internet site that I use. As of last week, my photo files have been rejected and that's when I discovered that the DPI was again being reverted back to 72 from the 300 that I had resized them to.

Walt! You and I have had this conversation before and it was yourself who said that the problem was well known and documented but could only be rectified as a major update, which it was at the last updated version. It was you who suggested that I use another programme to resize the DPI to my requirements and it worked. So when I discovered that Affinity had been corrected and had 'tested' it a few times, I uninstalled the resizing programme. I only discovered that the Affinity programme had been rectified after I downloaded the BETA programme, tried resizing on that and discovered that the file was not reverted back to 72 after resizing to 300. I then tried the released 'normal' Affinity and found that the photo file did not revert back to 72 after resizing to 300. So I assumed that the BETA contained the new code to retain resizing and that it had also been corrected in the original released version. So if you have a better answer, I would love to read it.

Thanks for your input into this problem.

H

Hi John Roston.

Thank you for your input.

You are correct that MB refers to Megabytes. If you resize a document in Affinity Photo from 72 DPI to 300 DPI, watch the number of pixels increase in the 'size' window, on the resize document window. They increase expotentialy. Then resize the largest side to 5400 pixels as I do which also changes the smaller side to match by resampling. If I don't do that, the file is too large at 300 DPI to be of any use on an international website that I use. Not only is it huge, but is also unprintable on anything but a large printer for a bill board for example. To prove this, process one of your photofiles and export it at 72 DPI as a Jpeg to one of your storage files, without changing the sizes. Then back in Affinity Photo, change the DPI to 300 and save that as a Jpeg. Back in Affinity Photo again, with the DPI still at 300, change the largest side to 5400, just click the smaller side which will resample itself. Save as a Jpeg and compare the file sizes in Megabytes. Just hover your cursor over each photo'. Then Right click each photo' > properties > details and check the horizontal and vertical resolution. They should be as you have set them. You may find that horizontal and vertical are all at 72dpi and not at 300 as you have set. This is what is happening to my files and it does affect the photosize in Megabytes. It is not just to use as an internal flag. What would be the use of that?

At 72 Dots Per Inch (DPI), there would be huge gaps in the resulting print. Whereas 300 Dots Per Inch, would render a much tighter photograph and would be acceptable for printing as an A3 photograph.

H

1 hour ago, heskphotography said:

. I only discovered that the Affinity programme had been rectified after I downloaded the BETA programme, tried resizing on that and discovered that the file was not reverted back to 72 after resizing to 300. I then tried the released 'normal' Affinity and found that the photo file did not revert back to 72 after resizing to 300. So I assumed that the BETA contained the new code to retain resizing and that it had also been corrected in the original released version.

Yes, the problem is fixed in the beta, but only in the beta. It is still broken on 1.6.5.123 (or .135).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, heskphotography said:

So I assumed that the BETA contained the new code to retain resizing and that it had also been corrected in the original released version.

It may well have been fixed in a new build of version 1.6, but if so it’s fixed in an unreleased build. The publicly released version 1.6.5 can’t/won’t change, since any change would mean it’s no longer version 1.6.5.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, heskphotography said:

Hi John Rosrton.

Thank you for your input.

You are correct that MB refers to Megabytes. If you resize a document in Affinity Photo from 72 DPI to 300 DPI, watch the number of pixels increase in the 'size' window, on the resize document window. They increase expotentialy.

The discrepancy comes from the Resample box. I did not have this ticked, I presume you did. I took an image and selected Document > Resize: The first image shows the  dialogue box with the Resample box unticked and the original 72dpi. The second is with 300dpi selected. Note that the image size remains the same, indeed it is greyed out. The third image shows the box with Resample ticked and 300dpi selected.

1257411719_DPIAll.png.3489bc2a31497ad74690c6417fd4775b.png

The question is: Do you want your image to be resized (in pixel dimensions as well as MegaBytes)  when you change the dpi or do you want it so remain the same?

PS: The sizes increase proportionally, not exponentially. 8800 is 2112*300/72.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630