You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot add Text layer when recording macro

Hi all,

I need to add a textlayer to a series of pictures. So I was trying to create a macro for that. However, when I try to use the text tool while recording the macro, it says :

cannot record "Add Artistic Text " . I'm kind of stuck on this. Anyone any tips how to solve this ?

cheers,

Andy

What is the purpose of the text layer? Will you have the same text on all the images?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you are looking to add a watermark (signature text) to a bunch of images. 

Save your signature as a transparent PNG file then use the macro functions to place that on your images.

If working on differently sized/aspect-ratio images you may run into new additional problems but the 1.7 beta is now supposed to have new options to circumvent that specific issue (I think) but I have not had time to play with them as yet.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you are looking to add a watermark (signature text) to a bunch of images. 

Save your signature as a transparent PNG file then use the macro functions to place that on your images.

If working on differently sized/aspect-ratio images you may run into new additional problems but the 1.7 beta is now supposed to have new options to circumvent that specific issue (I think) but I have not had time to play with them as yet.

No, it's not for watermarking images. But thanks for replying.

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

Yes, it's the same text for all pictures. Purpose is prices for products in a gallery.

In that case you can do something like the watermarking suggestion mentioned by @carl123.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Or ...

1. First without macro recording, create a new document and add some artistic text contents into that new document, select the text with the move tool and copy.
  2. Now create a new empty document and start macro recording, just paste the text you previously created in the first document. Stop macro recording and save the recorded macro.
  3. On any (new or open) document just load and replay the recorded paste text macro in order to insert the text then. Now you can position/edit/change the inserted text to your needs.

You can record text pasting in macros and so use that way as a sort of workaround.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 2:36 AM, v_kyr said:

Or ...

1. First without macro recording, create a new document and add some artistic text contents into that new document, select the text with the move tool and copy.
  2. Now create a new empty document and start macro recording, just paste the text you previously created in the first document. Stop macro recording and save the recorded macro.
  3. On any (new or open) document just load and replay the recorded paste text macro in order to insert the text then. Now you can position/edit/change the inserted text to your needs.

You can record text pasting in macros and so use that way as a sort of workaround.

That was very useful, thanks a lot!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Francis Dubois said:

I have the same problem

There are many useful things you can't do in macros in Affinity Photo.

-- Walt
PC:

45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are many useful things you can't do in macros in Affinity Photo.

There are many potentially useful things you can’t do in macros in APh. They’re not useful at all if you can’t actually do them! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 1:51 AM, v_kyr said:

@v_kyr I have a question regarding this please.

If you copy the text and then start a Macro recording to paste and then export the macro and give it to someone else, will it still work ?

If the answer is yes, then I am unable to figure out how the Macro knows what to paste if there is nothing in the clipboard.

1 hour ago, IanBarber said:

If the answer is yes, then I am unable to figure out how the Macro knows what to paste if there is nothing in the clipboard.

When you record the macro, and do a Paste, the contents of the clipboard at that moment is recorded in the macro. That is what will be pasted, whenever someone runs the macro. it does not simply record "do a paste". It records "paste <this exact thing>"

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When you record the macro, and do a Paste, the contents of the clipboard at that moment is recorded in the macro. That is what will be pasted, whenever someone runs the macro. it does not simply record "do a paste". It records "paste <this exact thing>"

So therefore you can safely give someones else the Macro and it will run correctly ?

18 minutes ago, IanBarber said:

So therefore you can safely give someones else the Macro and it will run correctly ?

If the intent of the macro is to paste that original text, not whatever may be on the user's clipboard when the macro is run, yes.

-- Walt
PC:

30 minutes ago, IanBarber said:

Just try it out yourself, here is what the above video shows (a trivial recorded text paste) in a trivial macro, it should give you then ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2