You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Accessibility: Add 3D Mouse/Joystick Support

Hello,

I'm a digital artist who would like to use Affinity Photo in my Workflow. I work on a large Wacom Cintiq and typically use a 3D Mouse.

Contrary to it's name, a 3D mouse is useful for much more than just 3D Work. 3D Mice are a knob like input device that can take input on several axis/motions (eg, pushing up down, side to side, rotating, twisting).

fq55vn7.jpg

If there was 3D Mouse Support, I could easily work with my pen, moving the canvas around using the 3D Mouse in my other hand. I could rotate the entire canvas whilst I work by twisting the mouse from side to side, dynamically zoom the document in and out by pushing the mouse downwards or pulling it upwards, in the same way I do as I work with 3D documents. This would be a very ergonomic solution, especially for people like me, who do not have newer, touch capable devices where tasks such as zooming, rotating canvas etc are tasks involving several steps that require keyboard or mouse input, both of which devices are difficult to keep in arms reach/use when you have a large tablet screen right up against you.

My 3D Mouse is a 3DConnexion Device. 3D Connexion Devices could be supported natively by your software, or you could accept Joystick input for zooming/rotating/panning the canvas, which most 3D Mice including mine can emulate and this would be a solution that anybody can use and would make Affinity more accessible for people such as myself.

Best,

Roboko

• 1 month later...

Yes, another vote for this feature. 3Dconnexion devices are supported by nearly all 2D/3D CAD systems as well as other programs.

The ability to pan and zoom an image whilst you are working on it is really useful. 3Dconnexion have an SDK available to developers. A 3D mouse/controller in your left hand combined with either a tablet or a mouse is a very efficient way to use the software.

The full 3D controllers have multiple customisable buttons so you can all your frequently used commands at at your fingertips.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes please, it could also be used to change a brush's opacity/ size/ strength dynamically, if you allow the user to change the per-axis input. Furthermore, I can see use for switching between navigation and settings for brushes using one of the buttons on the 3d mouse. These devices can make work very intuitive and fluent, please consider (especially for the upcoming 3d texturing in Photo)!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's kinda doable with a slew with other applications.

Controlling Affinity Designer with SpaceMouse Pro - YouTube

I posted earlier more details in here:

Develop 3D mouse drivers for affinity designers - Feedback for Affinity Designer on Desktop - Affinity | Forum (serif.com)

While this "works", I'd very much prefer to have native support, as it's kinda hacky.

Edited by Rezorrand
Added own vote for feature.

Join to that request. 
Would be really cool to indeed have support to free zoom in/out and move canvas all around.

Substance Painter team added support after 3 months of give promise it will be implemented. unless that was in their folder "for later", looks like not that hard thing to add.
Fingers cross and thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...