You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity Designer have a symmetry tool?

Hi again,

Does Affinity Designer have a symmetry mode at all? I saw a whole bunch of videos showing workarounds with symbols but I was really hoping there might be a proper live symmetry tool (something which sketchbook does incredibly well as a point of reference).

If not, might this be something which is planned for 1.7? I found a requested features list but it was unclear to me when it was last updated (I think the post I found was from 2015).

Thanks again :)

Ps. Sorry for making three separate posts in the space of 5 minutes but thought it best to separate my questions into their own topics.

Ah that's a shame, I have Sketchbook for raster symmetry so this was more me looking for a vector tool with symmetry.

I'm actually pretty amazed that none of the major vector packages seem to do symmetry well. I work in the film industry and spend a lot of time doing HUDs, UI and things like that where symmetry would literally save you half the time (plus it's just really good for getting that nice instant feedback when exploring shapes).

Fingers crossed it comes at some point in the future.

You can use symbols for vector symmetry.

Doesn't have quite the easy of use of a dedicated symmetry mode, but it works.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Yeah I've seen a lot of videos demonstrating that. The problem is that with something like that it's a pain to set up anything other than two-way symmetry.

Like 3 way symmetry makes it super quick for doing triangular forms (something I noticed the raster brush symmetry also lacks as entering 3 gives you 6 segments).

Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it :)

Its a shame Astute Graphics can't port their MirrorMe plugin to Affinity, thats pretty cool.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 minutes ago, noisyboyuk said:

The problem is that with something like that it's a pain to set up anything other than two-way symmetry.

This 3 way triangular symmetry took me less than 2 minutes to set up (including launching Designer).

I'd never done it before, and have saved to use as a template if I ever need to do it again.

640778209_Affinity3WaySymmetry.gif.a83fa1ca663c2791155c29232732c076.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Oh excellent work, thanks :)

I know you said you have saved this as a template but how fast are you able to work with that template when creating shapes? For example with the raster symmetry tool you can draw something, move the cross hair and immediately start drawing again. I'm like a day into using Designer so I'm still finding my feet with it but ultimately I want to be able to have the tools not get in the way (if that makes sense?).

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Josie said:

Affinity designer should have a symmetry tool.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:56 PM, Aammppaa said:

You can use symbols for vector symmetry.

Doesn't have quite the easy of use of a dedicated symmetry mode, but it works.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I love the Astute Graphics plugin: MirrorMe :D:D actually Astute Graphic anything is pretty damn awesome, shame it doesn't work with Affinity o.O

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

22 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I love the Astute Graphics plugin: MirrorMe :D:D actually Astute Graphic anything is pretty damn awesome, shame it doesn't work with Affinity o.O

Alfred spacer.png

You should really take into consideration adding symmetry to designer instead of people having to do more complicated work then they have to with squares and rectangles and the whole 9 yards. Really pisses me off that you don’t have that feature to make it way for artists.

1 hour ago, Josie said:

You should really take into consideration adding symmetry to designer instead of people having to do more complicated work then they have to with squares and rectangles and the whole 9 yards. Really pisses me off that you don’t have that feature to make it way for artists.

I have had the impression from your other posts that you're primarily using Photo, Josie, and on the iPad.

If you don't mind, I'm curious if you're also using Designer, and the desktop applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, Josie said:

How would I do images like these in either photo or designer on the iPad?

This question is not related to the topic of symmetry. Please create your own thread.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...

I am looking for the symmetry button in affinity designer.

According to to affinity's own tutorial https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/331186550/ it should be in the pixel persona once you have the brush highlighted I have tried to find it on both my laptop AND my desktop (1.85.703) and I do not have a symmetry button on the bar as in the video.  

Where have they hidden it ?  I really need to use it.

It is on the Context toolbar when (as you stated) you have the brush chosen in the Pixel Persona. It is a Checkbox, not a button.

1163653255_ScreenShot2020-11-05at12_52_20PM.png.ed43ca55c3caf7f9bc6a60cf6d9eed22.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.