You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro problems while batching

I've created a macro that lightens up the image. Image 01 is unedited raw image exported to jpg, 02 is the result of running the macro on the unedited developed raw image and exporting it to jpg and 03 is running the macro through a batch job. Attached you'll also find the macro. Any suggestion how to end up with image 02 in a batch job?

I'm running Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on an MacBook Pro 2018 - i9 - 32Gb ram with OSX 10.14.4.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Lit up.afmacro

Edited by Knesaren

Batch job processing uses a simplified Develop process for RAW photos, and doesn't use the Develop Assistant to do things like applying a default tone curve.

Typically that means that RAW photos processed through Batch processing end up darker. If you want to use Batch processing for RAW photos you'll have to experiment and find out what kind of processing you need to do. For example, you might need to brighten them by some amount, depending on your camera, lighting conditions, etc. You could do that by using a second macro that applies the brightness adjustment, along with the macro that you're using now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It has been requested previously and will (hopefully) be added in a future update

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, Knesaren said:

Is there an overview over differences between macros inside and outside a batch job?

I am not aware of any differences in macro processing when run manually or in a batch job. If there are any, I have never seen a list.

(Note that what you reported in this thread is not a difference in macro processing, but a difference in developing RAW files.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, Knesaren said:

I see I was a bit unclear.

The first image is a jpg version of the unchanged raw image. The second one is the same image with the macro on. The third image is the raw image processed with the macro through a batch job.

No, you were clear.

As I understand it, the difference in the images is not a difference in macro processing, but in the way the photo was developed due to the differences in the way that batch processing develops RAW files. The macro did the same thing in both cases, but it started with different input (the developed file) when run in batch and therefore produced different output.

In order to use batch processing with RAW files you will need to experiment to figure out what adjustments you need to make, and create an additional macro to apply them.

For example:

1. Start by running a bunch of your photos through batch processing, and simply transforming them from the RAW format to .afphoto format with no macros applied.
  2. Then open each of the RAW files manually, and click the Develop button without making any changes. Save these as an additional set of .afphoto file
  3. Compare each pair of corresponding files from steps 1 and 2, and you created, and determine the adjustments you need to make to the files from 1 to make them look like the files from 2.
  4. With luck you will need a very similar, possibly identical, set of adjustments in each case. If so, create a macro to make those adjustments.
  5. Finally, when you need to batch process your RAW files, apply the macro from step 4 as the first macro during batch processing, before any other macros that you apply.

-- Walt
PC: