You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Team !

Just wanted to know at some stage Affinity Photo will support Lens Profile for devices like iPhones, Samsung Galaxy, Huawei, Pixel and Mi by Xiaomi ?
IN fact, today there a lot of people are shooting with their mobile phone because it is what they own and like but those devices doesn't produce RAW file the same way big brand does but some will produce HEIC, JPEG and TIFF files.

I know you focus on Pro and Expert but will it be possible for small creators to also be taken in consideration ?

Blessings

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

APh relies on third party lens calibration data here, aka the lensfun database and the services provided by that. Thus it depends highly on this one for lens profiles ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I think the issue is more than the use of lensfun. As I understand it, Photo only applies lens corrections to RAW files being processed by the Develop Persona, so without a phone that produces a RAW file there would be no way to get Photo to use the lens profile, even if it's in the lensfun database.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's more an APh homemade usage limitation then, since the lensfun stuff itself could also be applied to bitmap images (the lenstool CPP API usage example demonstrates just this with a PNG). Meaning concrete here, that lensfun itself isn't usually restricted to be used just with RAW files.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 hours ago, v_kyr said:

That's more an APh homemade usage limitation then, since the lensfun stuff itself could also be applied to bitmap images (the lenstool CPP API usage example demonstrates just this with a PNG). Meaning concrete here, that lensfun itself isn't usually restricted to be used just with RAW files.

Yes. I was merely pointing out that having the data in lensfun is not sufficient to satisfy the request.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

The solution is to first open the jpeg in Lightroom first and make the lens correction there. I'm moving away from my Adobe software and prefer to make the move completely, I did install the LensFun profiles for my digital camera in Affinity Photo though. It was fast, easy, and works perfectly. I use my iPhone 7+ frequently and as of now I use Lightroom to correct the lens distortion. It's totally up to Serif to add mobile devices to the lens correction list. I'm committed to Affinity Photo, Design, and Publisher.