Ephemeraism

Exporting with transparent background error

Hi all,

I've research this issue but I still have yet to find a solution. My issue is that I am trying to export an Affinity Designer file to pdf and eps with a transparent background but the proposed solutions have not worked. For context, my file has a gradient layer applied. I have also attached the file for you to refer to the issue. 

These are the following things I've tried so far but have not worked:

1. Document setup > transparent background

2. Export to pdf (for export) and export to pdf (for print)

3. Rasterise the gradient layer and export to pdf (for export)

4. Check/uncheck the View > Show Image/Document Background in the Preview program on Mac 

Exporting to png works fine and shows the transparent background. If i export it to png, and import it back to Affinity Designer rasterised or not, remove the white background, the gradient layer doesn't fade as it should. 

I also tested drawing a rectangle on a transparent background, but upon exporting to pdf the transparent background does not show, instead it produces a white background.

I would greatly appreciate help on this :) 

TrackShirt_Minimal.pdf

TrackShirt_Minimal Upload.afdesign

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Ephemeraism.

I'm a bit confused. In the first sentence of your post you talk about exporting to PDF and EPS not working as you want.

Then later, after your step 4, you say:

3 hours ago, Ephemeraism said:

Exporting to png works fine and shows the transparent background. If i export it to png, and import it back to Affinity Designer rasterised or not, remove the white background, the gradient layer doesn't fade as it should.

Nowhere after the first sentence do you mention EPS. In the part I quoted, did you really mean "If I export to png" or did you mean EPS there?

I'm afraid I can't help with your PDF question, but if you are having problem with EPS the issue may be that the EPS format does not support transparency.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm a bit confused. In the first sentence of your post you talk about exporting to PDF and EPS not working as you want.

Nowhere after the first sentence do you mention EPS. In the part I quoted, did you really mean "If I export to png" or did you mean EPS there?

I'm afraid I can't help with your PDF question, but if you are having problem with EPS the issue may be that the EPS format does not support transparency.

Hi, to clarify I am having issues exporting to eps and pdf, not png. If eps doesn't support transparency then do you know the best way to export the file for t shirt printing purposes? 

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, I just realised I made a typo. Where my original post says  "If i export it to png, and import it back to Affinity Designer rasterised or not, remove the white background, the gradient layer doesn't fade as it should." I meant to say "if I export to pdf...". I can't seem to edit the original post for some reason.