You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place Image Too not Working

In the video, you click the "select image" too, choose the file to place, then click OK.

Then you click on a location in the file, and the image places small, and it has handles where you can choose what size you want.

Not in my app.

The moment I click OK after selecting the image, the image lands on the page - covering it all, even though the image dimensions are smaller than the page.

There are no handles, nothing I can do to get the image where I want it at the size I want it.

Is the tutorial outdated, or why doesn't it work?

9 minutes ago, World View said:

In the video, you click the "select image" too, choose the file to place, then click OK.

It's not clear which video you're referring to. A URL would be nice. However, whenever I Place an image, there is no "OK" in the Place Image dialog. There is an "Open", but it does not immediately place the image, it gives you a cursor to use in placing the image onto the page.

If you simply click the tool cursor on the page, the size of the image will be determined by its pixel dimensions, its recorded DPI, and the DPI of the document you're placing it in.

You can:

• Use the Navigation panel to pan the view until you find a corner handle, then drag it to reduce the image size.
    Or
  • Instead of just clicking the Place Image tool cursor, click and drag it to size the image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is the tutorial: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286538332

In the tutorial, the  presenter clicks on the "place image tool" symbol, the window opens, he chooses the image, and then he has a special cursor shape, and he can draw a rectangle.

This doesn't work in my case.

When I click on the image, it immediately is placed onto the whole page, filling it.

I do not get the option of drawing a rectangle, the cursor doesn't change. 

I can't place an image - the tool, for some reason, doesn't work.

Edited by World View

Can you provide a screen recording to show what is happening? You should be getting the special cursor.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I tried it out with large and small image files.

I'm not getting the special cursor. The image is stretched to fill the whole page and cannot be changed after that. Even a tiny 500 x 500 px file gets stretched over the whole page.

There isn't much I can do. Click the "place image tool" symbol, get the open file dialog, click on the file you want to insert, click OK, and then get no special cursor. 

What kind of file are you inserting?

Can you provide a screen recording?

What OS are you on, and what version of Publisher are you running?

-- Walt
PC:

A jpg file.

High Sierra and the latest 1.7.0.293

There is a thread on the bug forum: many people have crashes when using the place image tool. I don't get a crash, but the tool is not working for me, either.

Is there a way to downgrade to a previous version?

Screen recording : I have to check how to do that. 

Edited by World View

A possible workaround: Have you tried creating a Picture Frame and placing the image into it, rather than placing it on the page directly?

-- Walt
PC:

I was able to insert a picture by using the picture frame.

What I couldn't do is - due to the lack of a manual - rotate or scale the image. The "help" section tells me to drag over the rotate icon - where is the rotate icon and what does it look like?