You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gaussian blur creates weird tiles artefact

Hi, I was adding a little Orton effect in Beta 1.7.0.293. So I added a Gaussian Blur layer. It introduced ugly looking tiles.

I switched Gaussian Blur layer's blend mode to Normal on the screen-shot below in order to amplify tiles, but the same artifacts can be seen with Screen mode as well, it is just a tad less pronounced:

At this point, I am getting a bit tired of seeing bugs and thinking of switching back to Adobe. Please help.

EDIT: I attached a cropped slice of the image in .afphoto format - I can still see the issue when I load this file.

UPDATE: I edited the image in AP 1.6.5  using the same steps - the good news is that this bug is only reproducible in the recent AP Beta. Switching back to 1.6.5 for now.

Orton.png

Affinity Photo Project file:

Tiles.afphoto

Can you provide a sample .afphoto file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you provide a sample .afphoto file?

Thanks for your response: I attached a cropped slice of the image in .afphoto format to the original message at the top - I can still see the issue when I load this file.

20 minutes ago, makspyat said:

Either Serif fixes this, or I am switching to Photoshop

Well, pretty sure Serif will fix it eventually so it's not much of a threat unless you are going to give them some sort of timescale that you could live with.

Alternatively, for now, if you want to continue using the beta, just ungroup the adjustments (as hinted at previously) or add the image to the group

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

we are talking about Beta

This and any other regressions are almost certain to be top priority on Serif’s list of bugs waiting to be fixed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.