Sign in to follow this  
gw_westdale

Text Styles Find / Reset

In Text Styles, as in Page Plus, I would like the  'show where this style is used' action.
Very useful when developing templates and when copying text in ( which tends to create new styles automatically ) it enables merging of styles too.
This would presumably also work for graphic styles, though I don't use those.

Similarly I would like  'normal text for para style' action  -- the character 'no style' does not seem to do the same thing.

1 hour ago, gw_westdale said:

In Text Styles, as in Page Plus, I would like the  'show where this style is used' action.

You can use the Find and Replace panel (View > Studio > Find and Replace, or Text > Find...) to locate text with styles. Click on the cog icon for the Find field, choose Paragraph Styles, and select the style you want. Then press the Find button. You can do something similar in the Replace field to change to a different style, by pressing the Replace button.

1 hour ago, gw_westdale said:

Similarly I would like  'normal text for para style' action  -- the character 'no style' does not seem to do the same thing.

As I'm not a Page Plus user, I don't know what that one  does, so I can't help you there.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

On 4/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, gw_westdale said:

Just a hunch but you might be looking for the circled "T" button in the upper-right corner of the Text Styles panel.

A character style overrides formatting from the paragraph style, and local formatting (what you would select directly on the paragraph or character panels or in the context toolbar) overrides both.

The "no style" character style is to remove any formatting that comes from selecting a defined character style but would have no effect on local formatting.  The circled "T" removes local formatting but would not impact formatting that comes from selected styles.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, gw_westdale said:

show where this style is used' action

Another way would be to just modify any Text Style to add colour or underline or anything that stands out to temporarily see where a given style had been used.

49 minutes ago, Seneca said:

modify any Text Style to add colour or underline or anything that stands out

That only works if the color or style is not being overridden by local formatting (or by a character style if looking for a paragraph style).

18 minutes ago, fde101 said:

That only works if the color or style is not being overridden by local formatting

That's very true and that's why I said to use anything that stands out. Only the person working on a given project will know best what options to employ to make a given style stand out.

At the end of the day this trick is just a workaround and and it may not be appropriate in some situations. :)