You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stiching panoramas - horizon not straight

Hello there,

I am importing a sequence of 21 pictures, 7x3, from a Mavic 2 Pro drone as a panorama. An issue that I have been having is that the horizon on the panorama towards the edges quite often seems to curve away from flat. I've noticed this especially on sea/sky horizons. Is there any way that I can adjust this? I have tried other programs and don't get this alteration but the rendering and colour from Affinity Photo is otherwise far superior for what I want. This is the same in the non-beta version just to be clear.

Many thanks in advance,

Jim

Thanks for the reply and I have attached some low resolution shots of what I mean. The first shot is the "in-drone" processed panorama.

1310060792_DJI_0196(1).thumb.jpg.f3949d3c3433d9a226f4147ae9270211.jpg

This one is the 21 raw files brought into Affinity Photo Beta and stitched. 

2024955560_ExamplePanoramaAffinity(1).thumb.jpg.30059924e6fa2f2a511fb1b1b2e45554.jpg

There is a fair bit of cropping going on I know from the in drone conversion but you can see the "bending" effect on the horizon from the Affinity stitch.

Thanks again for any assistance!

When I've had curved horizons (whether from stitching panoramas, or from lens distortion) I've used the Mesh Warp tool very successfully. It's simple, but it's destructive, so you might want to do it on a duplicated layer. See the short video below...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

So, I didn't initially realize that the top picture was pre-processed by the drone, and the bottom picture was the one you were having problems with. I have never had Affinity Photo do this to a panorama, but I also have ZERO experience with drone photography, and perhaps this is part of the problem.

Nonetheless, you can still use the Mesh Warp tool to correct that unfortunate bend on the right side (and could apply it in multiple places, if the situation warranted it):

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

My absolute pleasure.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.