You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, webcat,

I'm not familiar w. the term knock-out, but I suppose you mean you want to remove the rectangle(s) or star shape from the diamond.

The objects do not need to be converted to curves. When they go thru a boolean operation, such as subtract, the results will be a curve. Your 1st problem was that you only had 1 on the rectangles selected when you did the subtract. So only one was cut away. If you had all the shapes selected, the 2 rectangles above the diamond would have both been subtracted.

The order of the operation is from top of the stack down, so when the diamond was on top, it cut away from the rectangle.

The results of the operation have the attributes of the bottom object. So if you subtract any shape from one that has an outline, the resulting shape will still have the outline.

I'm not quite sure what was going on w. the star example, the star arms should have been cut away from the diamond.

Attached, a file saved w. history so you can step thru what I did. I hope this is what you were aiming at.

Knockout.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Not sure what it is you want to happen. But if you want to delete a part of the diamond, switch to the node tool and place nodes on the diamond where they meet the square.

Click on the node and click break curve an the same for the other node, now you can delete the part in between

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

12 minutes ago, webcat said:

The stroke "is" closed. But do you mean it has to be "filled" in order to use those functions?

As I showed here, the curves don’t have to be filled — and as mentioned in that thread, if they’re open the app will close them when you choose ‘Add’ (or any other Boolean command). The only thing I didn’t show is what happens when the curves don’t overlap: try it for yourself and see what happens!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In Affinity, the stroke is not an object. It is just an attribute of the curve geometry. I don't use Inkscape enough to say, but in affinity, Expand stroke may be like convert to path in Inkscape. It makes a filled area that was the stroke, and that can be cut away.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

1 minute ago, gdenby said:

In Affinity, the stroke is not an object. It is just an attribute of the curve geometry. I don't use Inkscape enough to say, but in affinity, Expand stroke may be like convert to path in Inkscape. It makes a filled area that was the stroke, and that can be cut away.

Hey thanks @gdenby that's a great way for me to look at it too. The Expand "is" indeed like the Stroke to Path for inkscape. Thanks