You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slices don't fit correctly

Hi, I'm finding that slices don't fit correctly. I've ensured that the artboard is sized to whole pixels and the artwork is whole pixels. But when creating a slice, it doesn't line up. See the video:

https://www.loom.com/share/3e052617227d450997ab1b6dce989fea

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS, I've found this happens quite a lot when making slices. Often I can get around it by just making the slice a bit bigger. But for items I want consistent sizing and positioning across similar icons for example, it's frustrating.

Edited by rnbutler87

11 minutes ago, rnbutler87 said:

I've ensured that the artboard is sized to whole pixels and the artwork is whole pixels.

The default number of decimal places for pixel measurements is 0. Have you increased that to 2 or 3 (at least) in your User Interface Preferences to ensure you can see when things are mis-aligned or mis-sized?

Can you share a sample .afdesign file where this happens to you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah, I forgot that the beta has changed how artboard alignment is displayed and handled. You have just found why people are complaining about that change, as @>|< mentioned.

43 minutes ago, rnbutler87 said:

I've increased it to 3 decimal places but it everything is still on whole pixels...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, >|< said:

To correct the Artboard's pixel alignment, enable Force Pixel Alignment and disable Move By Whole Pixels and then slightly drag the Artboard with the Move Tool so that it snaps into place.

Thank you, this has fixed the issue. Many thanks!

Actually this has sort of fixed the problem, in that the artboard fits better, but not exact still. It is making an artboard 90x91 and even when trying to snap it to the bounds of the artboard it just won't, and keeps cropping the artwork. 

Is this because of what you mentioned about not being able to see if the board is exactly on a whole pixel because of the decimals not showing? 

These slice problems are quite annoying, especially when creating print artwork using something other than pixel dimensions (e.g. mm or cm) When I want to export slices, I have to change the document to pixels, and then try and get the slices to work. Indeed, they are more accurate but still not exact, as experiences yet again here.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.31.42.png

Edited by rnbutler87
Amended comment

• Staff

Hi rnbutler87,

This issue is unfortunately to do with the Artboard position as mentioned. Currently the only way to really get this to export out at 90x90 is to either delete all other artboards, or just to move the artboard you want to export to the top left above all the other artboards. This will ensure it always begins on a whole pixel.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, >|< said:

Using your file on my machine, the Artboard does fit the document pixel grid exactly after the drag. Then I have no problem adjusting the pre-existing slice to perfectly fit the dragged Artboard and export a 90 x 90 PNG. Alternatively, if I delete that slice and generate a new one from the Artboard by using the "Create Slice" button, I again have a perfect 90 x 90 slice and export.

This is strange. I'll keep trying to drag it around...

On 4/29/2019 at 9:00 PM, >|< said:

That is not necessary on my machine, so I don't know where you are going wrong.

This also seems strange... Hopefully a future update will make this a more consistent, intuitive process

• Staff

If "Move by whole pixels" is ENABLED - you will never be able to correct the position of artboards onto a pixel.

I am looking at what we can do to automate the process of fixing artboard positions, and warning when artboards are off-pixel.  New artboards should always be created on pixel, but the problem is that there are many ways to move document objects that can result in the top-left corner being off-pixel.  The position of all artboards relative to the canvas/spread is determined by the top-left artboard(s). If that artboard moves it affects the absolute positioning of all other artboards. There is no easy solution to this without us addressing every single potential way that an object can be moved - so the easier solution is to put something into Export Persona to assist in correcting the problems.

We've kept away from automatically correcting the positioning at export time, because that makes pixel preview mode redundant.  In that mode - either 1x or 2x - what you see is what gets exported (for regular 1:1 or 2:1 pixel ratio exports).  If we then adjusted the artboard position during export, you'd lose that 1:1 editing capability (and we'd almost certainly be getting as many but different complaints).

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 5/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, >|< said:

Are you absolutely sure Move By Whole Pixels is disabled?

Very sure!

The potential of the export persona is fantastic but I do find it a bit finicky at the moment, mainly to do with this topic of precision export and especially in documents that aren't pixel based (e.g. mm or cm)

On 5/2/2019 at 11:16 AM, Ben said:

If "Move by whole pixels" is ENABLED - you will never be able to correct the position of artboards onto a pixel.

I am looking at what we can do to automate the process of fixing artboard positions, and warning when artboards are off-pixel.  New artboards should always be created on pixel, but the problem is that there are many ways to move document objects that can result in the top-left corner being off-pixel.  The position of all artboards relative to the canvas/spread is determined by the top-left artboard(s). If that artboard moves it affects the absolute positioning of all other artboards. There is no easy solution to this without us addressing every single potential way that an object can be moved - so the easier solution is to put something into Export Persona to assist in correcting the problems.

We've kept away from automatically correcting the positioning at export time, because that makes pixel preview mode redundant.  In that mode - either 1x or 2x - what you see is what gets exported (for regular 1:1 or 2:1 pixel ratio exports).  If we then adjusted the artboard position during export, you'd lose that 1:1 editing capability (and we'd almost certainly be getting as many but different complaints).

And solving the problem does sound complicated and I can't say I entirely understand but what I'm taking away is you're working on it, which is satisfying.

Many thanks.

• 5 months later...

I'm also having problems precisely moving a slice to fit in a 100 px x 100 px artboard. The snapping function is preventing me from correctly snapping the slice onto the artboard. Is there a way to turn off the snapping tool in Export Persona?

I also noticed that after I duplicate a 100 px x 100 px artboard the slice alters to a different dimension such as 101 px x 101 px or 101 px x 100. The original artboard dimension is still 100 px x 100 px and is not altered. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.