You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm sure I've never had this problem before (new to AP, ex lightroom user) but recently whenever I export a resized .jpg and open it up in windows viewer the image looks as crisp and sharp as it should do, after a few milliseconds this "preview" then changes, as if something renders and then the image immediately becomes less sharp and slightly fuzzy, which is the end result.

I've tried different re-sampling methods but every one still does the same thing. It's really pissing me off

How do I sort this out? I want the .jpg to look exactly as it does in Affinity Photo after exporting!

Could you upload a jpg that does this?

...and have you tried resizing in Affinity Photo Beta 1.7 to see it this issue behaves the same after export from 1.7 beta. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, captainkimchi said:

I had no idea 1.7 existed, I don't get any prompt to update when I open AP like I have in the past.

You wouldn't be prompted, as it is a beta program, meaning it is in a test phase and not (yet) an official update to 1.6. It should be used for testing and experimentation only.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Could you upload a jpg that does this?

...and have you tried resizing in Affinity Photo Beta 1.7 to see it this issue behaves the same after export from 1.7 beta. 

Updated to 1.7 still get the same problem

Initially the .jpg opens sharps and then switches to a less sharp and fuzzy appearance

This is a focus stack. Originally 4948 x 3280 resizing to 1280 x 849

wetflies.jpg

8 hours ago, captainkimchi said:

I'm sure I've never had this problem before (new to AP, ex lightroom user) but recently whenever I export a resized .jpg and open it up in windows viewer the image looks as crisp and sharp as it should do, after a few milliseconds this "preview" then changes, as if something renders and then the image immediately becomes less sharp and slightly fuzzy, which is the end result.

I've tried different re-sampling methods but every one still does the same thing. It's really pissing me off

How do I sort this out? I want the .jpg to look exactly as it does in Affinity Photo after exporting!

The problem is with how the Windows Photos app displays images. I’m pretty sure it was reported on the Windows Feedback Hub a while ago, but nothing has been done to resolve the issue yet.

The Windows Photos app centres the images on the screen—both horizontally and vertically. This works OK when the image dimensions are even numbers (I.E. 1280 x 850), however when the image dimensions are odd numbers (I.E. 1279 x 849), the images will display blurry because instead of the image fitting exactly to the pixel grid, it ends up straddling pixels.

For example (on a 1920 x 1080 screen):

- With a 1280 x 850 image, the top left corner of the image will start at 320 x 115.

- With a 1279 x 849 image, the top left corner of the image will start at 320.5 x 115.5.

The 0.5 pixel is where the issue lies because the whole image is going to be shifted 0.5 pixels, and therefore out of line with the pixel grid—making it appear blurry.

602824831_0011280x850.thumb.png.65018da4bfbb5ed61420840839941fe4.png

54951775_0021279x849.thumb.png.83344f01f8c5a62ee88f05349a7df265.png

You can try it yourself by saving the five attached images to your computer (which are odd and even image dimensions) and viewing them in the Windows Photos app. Alternatively, try cropping the image of your fishing flies to 1280 x 848 and you will also see the difference.

A - 500 X 500 (Direct Image Link)

A - 500 X 500.png

B - 501 X 500 (Direct Image Link)

B - 501 X 500.png

C - 500 X 501 (Direct Image Link)

C - 500 X 501.png

D - 501 X 501 (Direct Image Link)

D - 501 X 501.png

E - 502 X 502 (Direct Image Link)

E - 502 X 502.png