You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guidelines are synchronized through all pages

Hello.

I have 1.7.0.283.

I am trying to create a trifold flyer.

Whatever I do - Publisher would always sync the guidelines on page 1 and 2. Same in Guidelines manager and when I adjust the guidelines with the mouse on the pages itself. As a trifold flyer must have one 3rd of the page folded inside it must have different guidelines on the front and on the back side it needs guidelines set for both pages separately.

Otherwise: great app like all the affinity products - I am so happy to get away from Adobe.

4 hours ago, nicecap said:

Hello.

I have 1.7.0.283.

I am trying to create a trifold flyer.

Whatever I do - Publisher would always sync the guidelines on page 1 and 2. Same in Guidelines manager and when I adjust the guidelines with the mouse on the pages itself. As a trifold flyer must have one 3rd of the page folded inside it must have different guidelines on the front and on the back side it needs guidelines set for both pages separately.

Otherwise: great app like all the affinity products - I am so happy to get away from Adobe.

Hello @nicecap,

would it work if you layout with single pages (six of them) and apply different masterpages? Masterpages can have different guidelines. I just tried with a simple setup and it seems to provide what you are asking for.

Please note: APub currently only supports double sided spreads. To create a trifold flyer you have to find a workaround, anyway.
Alternatively you can layout all three 'subpages' on one page for front and back. But this one will have horizontal guidelines across all three 'pages' :(

Another alternative would be to do this in Affintiy Designer and using artboards. They can have different sets of guidelines.
I attach a siple layout that demonstrates what I mean. (You can open this file in APub, as well, but it does not display the guidelines).

Cheers,
d.

trifold-flyer-with-artboards.afdesign

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, nicecap said:

Whatever I do - Publisher would always sync the guidelines on page 1 and 2.

On a side note: this is most likely not a bug but a feature request or general question and should perhaps be moved to the right forum.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Thanks Dominik.

I thought about creating the trifold brochure in Designer - however, I think a folder is a job for the publisher and it's fun to learn.

Using 2 different master pages did not do it. Still syncing the guidelines over the full document. I'm using front and back page instead of 6 single pages anyway. Instead of the guidelines I trusted on my maths and counted fractions of inches ;-)

Will see what the printer made of it.

It's a great idea to put it into feature requests - going to do that.

Chris

58 minutes ago, nicecap said:

I'm using front and back page instead of 6 single pages anyway. Instead of the guidelines I trusted on my maths and counted fractions of inches ;-)

Will see what the printer made of it.

Hey @nicecap,

good to hear you got something that works for you. At the moment it is neccessary to find workarounds. I consider that a 'creative challenge' :)

Good luck with what you get from the printer!
d.

Publisher allows me to have different Guides on different pages. The only time that a Guide is shared between pages is if the Guide is applied to a Master Page that is applied to the document pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher allows me to have different Guides on different pages. The only time that a Guide is shared between pages is if the Guide is applied to a Master Page that is applied to the document pages.

I think the problem is related to the OP's task to create a trifold flyer. APub does not have spreads with more than two pages at the moment. So the only way is to put all three 'flyer pages' onto one page. With this workflow horizontal guides span across all three 'flyer pages'.

This will improve once APub has the capability to put more than two pages on one spread.

d.

1 hour ago, dominik said:

With this workflow horizontal guides span across all three 'flyer pages'.

Thanks, dominik. I didn't consider that possibility.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1