Jump to content

Recommended Posts

An experiment using dispersion and distortion effects.

Do Not Adjust Your Set.jpg


Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like the distortion effect that I am trying to create. How did you do it?

John


Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John,

This was achieved by using multiple layers.

The first 2 were the standard dispersion techniques using identical layers, one with a white mask, and the other black. Masking out areas with dispersion brushes. The result was then blurred slightly to help the colour merge.

On one layer I used the COLUMN MARQUEE tool on the woman then copied that and stretched it out across to the TV set. (1 vertical row of pixels stretched out).

On one layer I used a ZOOM BLUR on full range and centered it just behind the woman.

On one layer I used the RIPPLE effect on a low setting (just enough to see the waves). OVERLAY BLEND. GAUSSIAN BLUR.

On one layer I used MOTION BLUR on a mid setting.

After that it was a case of adjusting the opacities of all layers until I got the desired result with this picture.

Made a few colour alterations and used a film grain Nik filter on the master.

Hope that explains it.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention; All modified layers were adjusted using the perspective tool so that they all lined up!


Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

standard dispersion techniques

Where can I learn more about this?


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The basic method is very straight forward and there are several video tutorials out there showing the method.

Here's a couple. The top video is for the iPad but the techniques are the same.

 


Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

The basic method is very straight forward and there are several video tutorials out there showing the method.

Here's a couple. The top video is for the iPad but the techniques are the same.

Thank you! That was indeed easy to understand. 

In software development we have 'Design Patterns', a toolbox of various language-agnostic methods of accomplishing a given result with names like 'Observer', 'Singleton' and 'Decorator'. 

It seems to me that the 'Dispersion Technique' is something similar. If I were interested in learning about Design Patterns there are numerous resources available both in print and on line. 

Where can I learn more about these generic techniques used by image artists?


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, casterle said:

In software development we have 'Design Patterns', a toolbox of various language-agnostic methods of accomplishing a given result with names like 'Observer', 'Singleton' and 'Decorator'. 

Where can I learn more about these generic techniques used by image artists?

I'm sorry, I have never heard of those terms you have mentioned so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Maybe someone else in here will know what you mean?


Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AffinityJules said:

I'm sorry, I have never heard of those terms you have mentioned so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Maybe someone else in here will know what you mean?

For example, when John said "This looks like the distortion effect that I am trying to create. How did you do it?" you knew what 'distortion effect' meant. When a programmer uses a pattern, other programmers know what that pattern means and thus knows something about the design.

I imagine there are other common terms like 'distortion effect' used to convey how part of am image was created. I'm looking for those terms so I can find instructions to create the effect. 

As I learn more about AP it becomes less important that the instructions are specific to AP (they can be program-agnostic) as long as there is a way to accomplish the same thing in AP which, as I am finding, there generally is. A good example is the use of the right panel in Blend Options as a more capable substitute for PS's Blend If, for which their are amazing uses.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, casterle said:

For example, when John said "This looks like the distortion effect that I am trying to create. How did you do it?" you knew what 'distortion effect' meant. When a programmer uses a pattern, other programmers know what that pattern means and thus knows something about the design.

I imagine there are other common terms like 'distortion effect' used to convey how part of am image was created. I'm looking for those terms so I can find instructions to create the effect. 

As I learn more about AP it becomes less important that the instructions are specific to AP (they can be program-agnostic) as long as there is a way to accomplish the same thing in AP which, as I am finding, there generally is. A good example is the use of the right panel in Blend Options as a more capable substitute for PS's Blend If, for which their are amazing uses.

Your best course of action is to check out all the video tutorials which can be found in here, they cover all aspects of using Affinity Photo.


Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Your best course of action is to check out all the video tutorials which can be found in here, they cover all aspects of using Affinity Photo.

Yes, and they're very good, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I've hijacked this thread - I'll start another.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casterle said:

I've hijacked this thread - I'll start another.

Oh that's ok, it doesn't bother me.

That's what the comments section is for.


Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

design_patterns.jpg.95d2c5f0b78303abcf03494eb08186b5.jpgdesign_patterns2.jpg.16d8b1a13efbd28082d0b816317770a4.jpg

Well the above reference more what we commonly (re)use in software engineering, namely some well known and described design patterns. - Similar in graphics there are also certain well named techniques and/or effects available (dispersion effect, splatter effect, disintegration/pixel explosion effect etc.), even a child might have several namings here (...also known as).


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well the above reference more what we commonly (re)use in software engineering, namely some well known and described design patterns. - Similar in graphics there are also certain well named techniques and/or effects available (dispersion effect, splatter effect, disintegration/pixel explosion effect etc.), even a child might have several namings here

Exactly. I'm looking for the GoF book for image manipulation.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how the right terminology to use or search after in the graphics domain would be here, but most book titles are instead more about image processing than manipulation...

Also I doubt that such effects like the one used in this thread here are then the theme of such books, since that's more an artistic one and nothing dealing with common graphics basics from ground up.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

most book titles are instead more about image processing than manipulation

Yup. I've found all kinds of technical info about algorithms and such but not much on the artistic side of things. I'll look through the links you provided and see if something clicks.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

You probably have to look instead after motion and particle design in graphics for such related topics. And specific PS tutorials.

Searching for "photo manipulation" rather than "image manipulation" has been more fruitful. What I'm finding are a lot of PS videos, which is OK, but nothing generic. I hadn't found the link you provided, so thanks for that.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one guy who always made very complex PS actions out of such stuff (dispersion, sandstorm ... etc. but I've forgotten his name and website link, he often also sells these PS actions  at several web services) and also made some tutorials on how to make that stuff via PS. I think some of the effects shown here are initially from that person, who somehow specialized on such effect things:


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.