You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Straighten tool?

Hello,

I do a lot of photo editing. And that means that I frequently have the need to straighten a photo.

I can use the crop tool in Affinity Photo to straighten but a dedicated straightening tool would be easier. I haven't found this feature in the software. Is it there and I'm just missing it? Or is the crop tool the only option available?

BTW, is it possible to crop using the marquee tool? Because that would be very helpful also!

Thanks!

Mary

A horizon is always level. Some people call it horizon, some call it straight level, some call it level.

Maybe the AP team should use the name 'straight level horizon' or 'level straight horizon' or 'horizon level straight' or 'straight horizon level' or 'level horizon straight' or 'horizon straight level'? fille-lol.gif

Uhhhh, what about some kinky acronyms? SLH, LSH, HLS, SHL, LHS, HSL? Oh no, the last one is already taken.

I don't know. I just use a tripod and a head with two calibrated bubble levels and a large format camera with 6 calibrated bubble levels. Saves me a lot of time I would have to spend in front of my Mac.

I know hundreds of people who wish they had your problems...

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

I know hundreds of people who wish they had your problems...

Are you making that comment toward me? And what exactly is that supposed to mean? You know nothing about me or my problems so shut it.

And obviously the horizon is level. But my question is how is that effectively any different than a straighten tool.

And BTW, I do use a tripod and a level. But reality is that photos don't always turn out level, especially when you are shooting fast. I don't need you making nasty comments. You know nothing about my skill as a photographer, so keep your critique to yourself. I'm not asking for it and I don't need it.

I thought that this forum was about trouble shooting the software and making suggestions about features. And that's exactly what I'm doing. If that's not the point, I'll be happy to sign off. 

You know nothing about me or my problems so shut it.

It was you who wanted to have a straighten tool, not me. I just mentioned that I never have any problems to get anything level if I use the appropriate camera.

I just used the perspective tool to straighten the horizon, worked fine for me (with mode set to 'source') - but I did look for a 'straighten' or 'tilt' option first.

Tilt is a camera front or rear standard movement you can't reproduce or mimic with a software. 

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

I am a casual photographer and take photos when my wife and I are out on vacation or driving around the area in some place of natural beauty. Often I don't, and would not, take a tripod because (1) we are often hiking in hilly or rocky areas and the tripod is too much trouble and weight, (2) we are often out in crowded areas and a tripod causes people to act differently than they normaly would, (3) we are in some indoor place where tripods are not allowed as they imply a professional photographer and (4) sometimes it is just too much trouble. For those times I would like to be able to level an image with some horizon (level) tool.

There certainly are times when I do use a tripod - especially when I am out "birding" or using a lens longer than about 300 mm, but it is uncommon, and I don't think I am that unusual. Even when I am using a tripod I may find that my images are not really level with the horizon, perhaps because I have been swiveling the camera trying to catch a moving bird or animal, perhaps because I am taking a panorama and perhaps because the area I am in is not level.

As with everything else in my life I am not perfect and do not expect my images to come out perfectly. If they did I would not need a photo editor.

One advantage of the way that AP does it is that when you straighten the image you are moving it on the canvas and combining "Straighten" and "Crop" in a single tool helps simplify things.

I'm in agreement with Mike, and really only use a tripod when there is a more than 200mm lens on, or for natural light (or should that be 'lack of' natural light) indoor shots where I don't want (or am not permitted) to use flash and don't want to push the ISO setting too much.  Not too fussed whether the outcomes are dead straight just as long as they are sharp.  You can easily fix the horizon in post but not blur.  

These are just personal preferences - not "why don't you do it this way" comments.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Not too fussed whether the outcomes are dead straight just as long as they are sharp.  You can easily fix the horizon in post but not blur.  

These are just personal preferences - not "why don't you do it this way" comments.

Just so. You do have a way with words, Bill.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.