You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[CRASH] beta 293: instant crash on copy layers

Hello  @IPv6,
Disable the Clipboard Manager in Windows, then everything should work as usual.

Cheers

Zwischen.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Sorry, didn`t get it, i do not use any clipboard managers. Or you mean windows internals flags for something specific (hard to tell from your screenshot)?
Anyway, it definitely should work on plain fresh system (i never enable fancy stuff manually). and it working with other layers without problems

In Windows 10, is a new Clipboard Manager been introduced, this is usually activated.
This manager causes some problems in Affinity-Photo.
The Clipboard Manager do you find under Settings, then System and then Clipboard Manager,
here can you the manager deactivated or activated.

I hope it helps.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

1 minute ago, rich22 said:

But I agree - it shouldn't crash in either case

It's possible that it's the Windows clipboard Manager that's crashing, and taking Photo down with it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's possible that it's the Windows clipboard Manager that's crashing, and taking Photo down with it.

Yes. 

When I said "Clipboard History setting that causes the crash", I simply meant the position of the setting, and wasn't speculating about which actual program is crashing.

Funny enough, but seems this crash has to do nothing with new clipboard manager. Its not present on my system at all - my settings app even dont not have such entry.
Here is the screen (russian is mine, english is screenshot from the article, describing this clipboard manager).

awin10advancedclipboard-win10.thumb.png.f466a28231e36cec32ba93c7d052228e.png

awin10advancedclipboard.png.94221f242747c1a2a067715f34aa04c8.png

Anyway, i do a lot of copy-paste for layers. In common this works well and layer copy with all inners and styles is really great feature (photoshop lacks this, for exaple).
Its just this two layers can be copied... i suspect because there is no layers with pixels inside them. But this should not crash app for sure, imho

I have repeated your steps on my Windows 10 Versio 1903 OS Build 18362.53 64-bit PC. Clipboard Manager is on, and Sync automatically is on. Clipboard History is also on. No crash. I copied and pasted CTRL>C and CTRL>V without a problem.

Try as I might, I cannot repeat your problem.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

• Staff

We have reproduced the crash and reported it to the developers. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.