You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This has got to be simple and I just can't find it. I've placed a photo onto my Affinity Design artboard and want to wrap text around it. How do I do that? I can't find text wrap in Affinity Designer help, only text on a path, which is not what I want to do.

I am on a Windows 10 desktop PC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need to create a path (curve or shape) to do this. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There is no Text Wrap in Designer that is only available in Affinity Publisher at the moment

In Designer, you can simulate the effect (to some extent) by creating a shape that encompasses your image (with a knocked-out part for your image) then converting that shape to Curve Text by using the command

Layer > Convert to Text Frame

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

If you just want to wrap text around a photo, Layer > Convert to Text Path may be a good choice, particularly if you have clipped the photo to some shape, like in this text around photo.afdesign example.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, >|< said:

MarcySB has explicitly stated that he/she does not want to do that!

But not why or if that is always going to be what is wanted. That's why I said " Convert to Text Path may be a good choice, particularly if you have clipped the photo to some shape ..."

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, >|< said:

What don't you understand about the words "I've placed a photo onto my Affinity Design artboard and want to wrap text around it. How do I do that? I can't find text wrap in Affinity Designer help, only text on a path, which is not what I want to do."?

What I understand is that what someone wants to do at one time may not be what they want to do at another.

Affinity Photo 

It's not the same as in Publisher, but I think the best alternative way is to convert a shape to a text frame. And what's good about it is that if you change the size of your image, you can still edit the shape of your text frame as well.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

42 minutes ago, >|< said:

The person initially said that they know about text on a path and they don't want that, so you thought it would be helpful to tell them about it. lol

You do realize that other people besides the OP might be wondering about 'text wrap" & read this topic looking for ways to do that, right?

Affinity Photo 

This little ego war of people who want to have the last word at all costs is really tiring and does not bring anything constructive to the forum. Some seem to be here only to bring contradiction and nitpick like children in a schoolyard and give a sad image of the forum, fortunately it is only a minority!
Before someone tells me, I have already chosen to ignore one of the users in order to keep only the constructive part of the forum.

I have not been able to come back to the forum since I posted my questions. Oh my gosh! When I posted this 3 days ago, I certainly did not want to create a conflict!

R C-R - thank you for your suggestion. Based on the example you posted, this is not what I was looking for.

Carl123 - I see that Publisher is in Beta and available to try. I may try that. It looks like Publisher may ultimately be a better replacement for InDesign (I've been trying to use Designer and knew it was not an exact fit).

Bri-toon - I appreciate the video. Videos help me see it better - I'm better with those than written instructions sometimes. Although not ideal, it looks like this may be the best way to do what I want to do in Designer.

I could try Word's Publisher I guess, I've just never liked it. That is another option too.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Please don't fight!!!

MarcySB (BTW - I'm a she)

Debate aside, everyone is different. Everyone has different ways of completing tasks and different ways of learning. What works for me may not work for you or person X or person Y, so it all varies. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with learning from someone else even if it's not the way we would do things. The part that matters is people still try to be helpful by offering what they know. With that said, I hope you find what you're looking for, Marcy.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello MarcySB,

In addition to the message from @Bri-Toon, here is a workaround solution (not very practical but can help) for wrapping text, even if it is far from the edges.

1/ Draw the frame that should contain the text and the shape that it should bypass. If the outline of the frame is to be visible, duplicate the frame.

2/ Duplicate the shape and enlarge it to obtain the desired distance between it and the text.

3/ Place the large ellipse above the rectangle.

4/ Select the large ellipse and rectangle and perform a Boolean operation "Subtract". If the rectangle has not been duplicated, it disappears.

5/ Select the rectangle, click on it with the "Text box" tool (not "Artistic Tool") and type the text, it bypasses the shape.

I hope this will help you.

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Of course there is nothing wrong with learning different ways of doing things from various people. What was wrong was "advice" telling how to do something that had been explicitly stated as not being wanted.

Yes, the OP stated that. But the OP is not the only person who might read this topic & be interested in learning about a way unwanted by the OP, whatever the OP's reason for not wanting to use that way might be.

Affinity Photo 

I will tell you that based on the responses to my questions, I'm 1) not sure I want to post in this forum anymore, and 2) wish I knew a way to close this discussion. I'm really not happy with the way these answers have gone.

As stated, I did not want text on a path. I've tried to be nice and thank everyone anyway. I don't care if you know each other, this was NOT the place to argue. I am unfollowing this ticket and don't want any more answers!!

Marcy