bonjin

imported psd with adjustment layers looks different in affinity photo

I imported a psd file with some adjustment layers into affinity photo and the results look very different.

I am attaching the psd file.

top layer is the result output from photoshop with all the adjustments.

colorbars.psd

Hello @bonjin,
welcome to this forum.
I can not confirm a color shift, all colors taken with the color-picker show in Affinity and PSD the same values.
see the screenshot.
Check the set color profile in Affinity Photo, it should be the same profile as in PSD.

Cheers

Affinity-Beta.293.png

Affinity-Customer.png

PSD-2019.png

Farbprofil.png

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.333 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.333:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.337:       Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1809 Build 17763.437)

Which OS do you use? Windows or Mac.
If you use Windows, check the color profile there as well.

Windows.png

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.333 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.333:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.337:       Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1809 Build 17763.437)

Hi Gnobelix,

thanks for the post.

I am running windows 10

I have calibrated monitor so I am using a different profile but I don't believe that should affect since I am viewing through the same monitor and pc for both images.

I have checked my preferences and it matches the settings you have.

if you look at the top layer

Colorbars CC - backed = is the photoshop layers flattened (photoshop flattened.jpg)

if I compare this with the layer below that has all the color corrections I don't get same results. (color correctionlayers.jpg) 

the sample color numbers are not the same.

Hope you see the difference I am seeing

thanks

preference settings.jpg

photoshop flattened.jpg

color correction layers.jpg

1 hour ago, bonjin said:

I have calibrated monitor so I am using a different profile but I don't believe that should affect since I am viewing through the same monitor and pc for both images.

I see the difference, and nevertheless I would the color profile of Windows for test purposes, set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
I have no differences in the color representation, when I the upper layer  with the below layer  compare.

Cheers

I tried setting windows profile and affinity photo to sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Unfortunately I am still noticing the difference between the 2 layers.

I am not sure what could be the difference between your setup and mine.

thanks

4 hours ago, bonjin said:

Changing your monitor profile to sRGB isn't going to help. There's a distinct difference between the top baked layer and the composite that's below it. It is a difference in the AP and Ps processing of one or more of the adjustment layers.

so it's what i have suspected that the adjustments values are computed differently between the apps.

In a environment where i need to share the work with other people predominantly on photoshop, it does limit affinty photo's usage. 

Hope there is a fix for this problem that Serif can implement on the future updates.

23 hours ago, DWright said:

I sense that my original post is being misunderstood.

to reiterate, the original file was created in photoshop with all the layers.

the top layer is flattened image of the layers below.

if you compare the results of the first layer (colorbars cc - baked) and the layer below (colorbars cc)

the results are identical in photoshop but it is different in affinity photo.

hope that makes clear of the issue

I will speak to our QA team as I am getting the same RGB across the three apps

colour.PNG

I am not sure what could be the difference between your setup and mine.

thanks

1 minute ago, bonjin said:

I sense that my original post is being misunderstood.

Yes, apparently DWright has somehow made the same mistake as was initially made by Gnobelix. Let's hope someone else at Serif will check this properly.

When opened in Affinity Photo, the Brightness/Contrast adjustment filter is set differently. 

In Affinity Photo it displays as
1745516798_ScreenShot2019-04-24at07_39_42.png.a2a5910b98ce417724b9c95b9e18cba3.png 

In Photoshop it displays as
1877398022_ScreenShot2019-04-24at07_40_05.png.5e881721d3bc1e88648eea7760e4d155.png

There is no Gamma Correction or Offset in Affinity Photo's exposure adjustment filter.

1270164118_ScreenShot2019-04-24at07_44_10.png.019d9adf11c76f992d6d5e02773fca5c.png1569814908_ScreenShot2019-04-24at07_43_59.png.afe3ec8adb6dcd43461e104cc50cbe1f.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

Hi all,

Thanks @firstdefence, that's exactly what's wrong. A bit more info below:

We are aware of the issue where some Adjustment layers from PS differ when you import them to Affinity Photo. Some adjustments do not have the same sliders ( i.e Exposure), and some are not read correctly. It looks like, for Brightness, we're reading treating PS input as -255 to + 255 and map it to % in our adjustment ( 29/255 = ~0.11 = 11% ). 

I will update our developers on this. 

Thanks,

Gabe.