You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why can't I edit the paths from this PDF imported?

I was working with Sketch and I wanted to move some icons over to affinity to update them. So I exported a PDF of the art board.  The icons come in looking fine but I can never get access to the nodes of the shapes.  There's a bounding box around the file in some sort of mask. But it's not a bitmap.  In xara, I can modify the nodes right away.  I didn't try illustrator but I was able to disassemble the objects by doing a series of ungroups and I could release the clips.  I don't have that ability in affinity for some reason.  Actually I just realized if I import the PDF into inkscape using the Poppler/Cairo import I can edit the paths right away and there's no crazy clipping going on.

I'd be curious if anyone else can work with it in Affinity or knows how I can break these down into the component shapes outside of their clip paths or whatever is containing them.

icons.pdf

Hmmm, I think I figured out a way to get into it.  I have to right click on the layer and then choose "Release Mask"

i have to say overall Xara did a better job giving me access to the nodes right away.  Obviously starting from Sketch was a problem, Sketch is weird, in several things it does, including how it treats multi-shaped objects.

when you drag the curve layer outside the rectangle layer, in the layerspanel, you can edit the nodes with the node tool.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Sketch is weird...

It's hard to blame it on particular authoring programs. PDFs are notorious in general for containing unexpected clipping paths, even when exported and imported using Adobe apps. As constructs native to the authoring program get "deconstructed" down to more basic objects, anything from grad fills (beyond the basic linear and radial) to mere page bounds can result in clipping paths—even multiple nested ones—when exported to PDF.

It's one of the reasons why Illustrator has its specific Select>Object>Clipping Masks command. All the dubious hype about "Illustrator's native format is now PDF!" lead users to think that's true in a conventional sense. So they use Illustrator to "open" PDFs from any willy-nilly source (not just the ones created by Illustrator with its "Maintain editability..." option turned on), and encounter all those clipping paths, too. So it's common practice in Illustrator to just select that command and hit delete, in order to figure out what you're actually dealing with.

JET

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.