World View

Where can I get a manual for Publisher?

Posted (edited)

I know about the tutorials. The problem is, that they do not show how the software works.

The first, for example, creating a new document. 

He opens a print document. I don't want to print. How do I create a digital magazine?

No answers.

Also: during the demo, the demonstrator swishes his cursor around fast . He clicks first and then says what he's doing. It would be better to tell me first what he's going to do, and THEN click on the button in order to give eyes a chance to see where it is happening AFTER you know what will happen. Otherwise you'd have to always roll back the recording.

For a beginner, those tutorials have very little value. If you know about Adobe InDesign, it might be OK.

So my tip is: if you want to get new customers, show them how your software works. 

Imagine someone wanted to learn Photoshop and there was no book, just a few tutorials. Absolutely impossible.

So, if I'm a desktop publishing newbie, how can I learn how to use your software? Where is the manual?

Edited by World View

9 minutes ago, World View said:

So, if I'm a desktop publishing newbie, how can I learn how to use your software? Where is the manual?

There will be better video tutorials when the product is available for sale. Perhaps they will help you. The tutorials for the other Affinity products have proven very helpful to me.

There is the built-in Help information, which is the closest thing that exists to a manual for any of the Affinity products.

Question: what do you mean by "digital magazine". To me, that term does not seem well-defined.

As long as you mean "a PDF file that you let someone download from your website" then yes, you can do that with Publisher. If you mean something else, involving generating HTML and CSS and building a website, then no, you can't do that with Publisher.

It is, fundamentally at this point, a tool for creating something that looks like a traditional book or magazine.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Posted (edited)

Yes, I meant a pdf - that a client or potential client can access via a link.

I'm not trying to build a website.

I just want to create a readable design where I can publish articles and images and maybe the link to a podcast or a film I made.

Edited by World View

Good. Then, simply ignore the fact that a tutorial talks about creating something to print, because it's simple enough to create a PDF instead, and focus on the techniques that are common to build what you need.

Note, though, that the current beta release has many functions not described in the Tutorials. For those, you read the Help, or you experiment, or you ask questions here. Again, they will have more (and better) tutorials when Publisher is available for purchase.

Someday there will probably also be a Workbook for sale, as they have provided for Photo and Designer. But like the other Workbooks, it probably won't be a true manual, but a guided exploration of some specific projects that will help provide education on using the application.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

I have to say I would love to see a pdf manual available for publisher, but as this is still in beta, I imagine they have other things to do.

I came across this tutorial on you tube and found it extremely helpful, not sure if we are allowed to post those links here, but feel sharing is a good thing. I feel it may have a lot of the information you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDfq4zOmmKk

It is unlikely they'll produce a PDF manual. They have had several years to do that for Photo and Designer and haven't done so. They haven't even produced a PDF of the Help contents, though several users have done so and Serif doesn't seem to have objected.

-- Walt

Hi, I don´t understand your problem. Afpub is most self explaining. Create first one Master pages, later some more, you will find the way. Click to make frames, one for pictures, one for text. Write something and see what type... I think you know that all. The PDF is done by export (may be there is a problem with 72 dpi, change bilinear to lanczos 3 in MORE). And then you see some real problems by working and find aswers here... lars

AP 1.6.7 // AD 1.6.1 // Apu ß: Capture One+; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.13.1, early 2012 (ret), flsh 256 GB, RAM 16 GB; // Fuji X-Pro2, XF 18 - 55, XF 55 - 200 mm, nikkor 2.8/ 20 mm with shift 

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Good. Then, simply ignore the fact that a tutorial talks about creating something to print, because it's simple enough to create a PDF instead, and focus on the techniques that are common to build what you need.

Note, though, that the current beta release has many functions not described in the Tutorials. For those, you read the Help, or you experiment, or you ask questions here. Again, they will have more (and better) tutorials when Publisher is available for purchase.

Someday there will probably also be a Workbook for sale, as they have provided for Photo and Designer. But like the other Workbooks, it probably won't be a true manual, but a guided exploration of some specific projects that will help provide education on using the application.

How do I create a pdf? My only options were print/cmyk, devices, and photo, and I picked photo.

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It is unlikely they'll produce a PDF manual. They have had several years to do that for Photo and Designer and haven't done so. They haven't even produced a PDF of the Help contents, though several users have done so and Serif doesn't seem to have objected.

Where can I get such a pdf of the help documents? Do you know a user who has one?

Posted (edited)

When you create a document, and save it (file / save), it will save in the native affinity publisher format of .afpub. When you export a document (file / export) you will have options as to what format you want to export it in including pdf. So create a document, add your content, export a document in a format that meets your needs.

If you go to open new document and you select the different presets, such as print, devices, web etc, you will see that the settings such as dpi and document size change, this is providing you with a basic setup to work with, which is very handy for those of us who aren't experienced with this stuff. It provides a starting point but you can set it up however you personally want it.

Edited by Kimbo
add more info

May be this helps to start...

start.afpub

AP 1.6.7 // AD 1.6.1 // Apu ß: Capture One+; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.13.1, early 2012 (ret), flsh 256 GB, RAM 16 GB; // Fuji X-Pro2, XF 18 - 55, XF 55 - 200 mm, nikkor 2.8/ 20 mm with shift 

4 hours ago, World View said:

How do I create a pdf? My only options were print/cmyk, devices, and photo, and I picked photo.

Pick one of the Print options. One will default to RGB, the other to CMYK. Probably you want RGB.

Do all your work. Then use the menu File > Export and export as a PDF.

-- Walt