You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible bug exporting GIF?

I created an A1 poster with multiple images (.apub file size > 100MB)

I tried to export it as a GIF and the export box just sat there for over 30 minutes and no file appeared.

Doing the same with PNG format or PDF works as expected, only GIF seems to hang.

Default settings for all cases. Windows 10. Publisher version 1.7.0.293.

11 hours ago, alanGmedia said:

I created an A1 poster with multiple images (.apub file size > 100MB)

I tried to export it as a GIF and the export box just sat there for over 30 minutes and no file appeared.

Doing the same with PNG format or PDF works as expected, only GIF seems to hang.

Default settings for all cases. Windows 10. Publisher version 1.7.0.293.

Hello @alanGmedia,

I am a little unsure why you want to save an A1 format to GIF? From what I know GIF images are not meant to be of that size and this may be the cause for the fail. Usually GIF images are used for images displayed in the internet but not in the context of print.

If you can export as PNG, JPG or PDF you should use one of these formats :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Dominic, the reason for exporting as a GIF was just to see if I could get the file size down (my printer only accepts files <30MB in size).
I eventually used a jpeg even though that resulted in a slightly fuzzy image.

JonP, sorry the original file that was giving the problem has been modified so much and gone through two beta updates that I doubt it would help now.

I just tried it again using the latest 1.7.0.376 beta and it looks like GIF export still locks up. Possibly as Dominic suggests GIF doesn't scale this big,
but I feel the export should be able to check that and report an error or somesuch...I've attached the current afpub file.

Poster.afpub

5 hours ago, alanGmedia said:

but I feel the export should be able to check that and report an error or somesuch...

I think that is a valid idea. Good to hear that you got it solved :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.