You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grievance list

got a developer response from Affinity to my App Store review directing me to post here, so I'm going to list things that have hurt my productivity with Designer. If there is something I have misunderstood, I welcome suggestions for workarounds. I will add stuff as it comes up but let's start with a few obvious ones:

1. Selecting a placed image will randomly not give you options to replace the image until you switch personas. This seems like a bug.

2. Replacing the placed image will not update its preview until you close and reopen the project. This is also an obvious bug and a serious time waster.

3. Resizing proportionally sometimes requires holding SHIFT, but mostly it's done without SHIFT. These are in different scenarios but it's a half-baked change. I will add specifics when I encounter them again. Alfred is my new hero.

4. You can't select objects that are inside groups directly, you have to use the layers panel. The problem with this is that Affinity doesn't have folders. If you have a couple dozen objects, you need a way to lump some together to make the layers panel workable but if you do, you lose direct selectability, so either way, you're losing a lot of time. 

4 minutes ago, Samuli said:

things that have hurt my productivity with Photo

I presume you forgot to change ‘Photo’ to ‘Designer’ after copying and pasting the introductory paragraph from your earlier thread.

7 minutes ago, Samuli said:

3. Resizing proportionally sometimes requires holding SHIFT, but mostly it's done without SHIFT. These are in different scenarios but it's a half-baked change. I will add specifics when I encounter them again.

Things with a natural aspect ratio (e.g. photos) will resize proportionally by default. You can change the behaviour by choosing a different ‘Move Tool Aspect Constrain’ setting in Preferences.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I presume you forgot to change ‘Photo’ to ‘Designer’ after copying and pasting the introductory paragraph from your earlier thread.

Things with a natural aspect ratio (e.g. photos) will resize proportionally by default. You can change the behaviour by choosing a different ‘Move Tool Aspect Constrain’ setting in Preferences.

Sorry, that was sloppy of me, fixed now. That is awesome, thanks! I knew some of these must be "one checkbox syndrome". 

4 hours ago, Samuli said:

1. Selecting a placed image will randomly not give you options to replace the image until you switch personas. This seems like a bug.

First, you only have the Replace option when you're using the Move Tool. Second, you do not have that option in the Export Persona, as that persona is not really for editing but for exporting.

Perhaps that will explain what you've seen.

2. Replacing the placed image will not update its preview until you close and reopen the project. This is also an obvious bug and a serious time waster.

I'm not sure what you mean by "its preview". When I replace an image, the image on-screen and in the Layers panel updates immediately.

4. You can't select objects that are inside groups directly, you have to use the layers panel. The problem with this is that Affinity doesn't have folders. If you have a couple dozen objects, you need a way to lump some together to make the layers panel workable but if you do, you lose direct selectability, so either way, you're losing a lot of time.

Affinity Designer may not have folders, but it does have Layer (capital L) layers, which you can use as another kind of grouping mechanism. Create a Layer layer (Add Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel) and subsequent objects that you create will be nested inside that Layer. Or, you could manually move objects into that Layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, Samuli said:

a double click will select items in a group.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

On 4/19/2019 at 11:51 AM, dutchshader said:

a double click will select items in a group.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, haakoo said:

After double the clicking group you can select single items in this group
And using ctrl+click you can also select single items in a group

Thanks guys!