You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have you applied drop shadows or other filter effects, or is it artistic text which has been distorted (stretched, squashed or rotated)?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, Sapiento said:

Yes. Outer Glow effect, text on path (edited in Designer) and rotated text.

That will make it rasterized.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For plain text etc. I prefer SVG output, since that is then even just with a text editor editable, as far as the text isn't converted into curves. - Related to text with applied FX effects, the effects will always be rasterized here no matter of the choosen vector output format. Here for SVG the plain used text characters should still be editable, but the FX effect is applied as a png raster image.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

For what it's worth, I haven't found any file format particularly useful for preserving text editability – except the native format of the application I was working in. Even the PDF format was originally developed for layout accuracy and not for keeping text editable, although I know there have been attempts to add this on with certain export settings. But even with these, the result was not at all convincing, neither with Adobe apps nor with any other software that supports PDF export, at least from my personal experience. You just never know in what logical blocks PDF splits up your layout, so you may end up with associated text put into separate text frames every so often. I've given up on this. If you want to preserve editability, save in native file format. I know this causes problems when you try to interchange designs with clients.

5 hours ago, Sapiento said:

I can do away the FX, that's not the problem, but the curved text is really an issue.

Do you mean that you are curving the text (like with the Warp or Perspective tools) or just that the text has been converted to individual Curve layers? If the latter, that is probably something you did unintentionally (like with a 'Convert to Curves' keyboard shortcut) because Artistic & Frame text layers are not automatically converted to individual Curve layers in the app & should remain editable text runs unless something is done to either rasterize the text layer or convert it to individual curves. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean that you are curving the text (like with the Warp or Perspective tools) or just that the text has been converted to individual Curve layers?

Clearly not the latter:

16 hours ago, Sapiento said:

Thank you.

The result is only slightly better. The curved text is now one layer per letter - that makes hundreds of layers (letters) instead of some dozen words. For practical use for commissions this is completely useless. This is a major drawback of AP.

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Clearly not the latter:

??? Didn't the OP say that the "curved text is now one layer per letter"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As in, text on a curved path, I believe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I read that as indicating that there was a letter (i.e. a text object) on each layer. Perhaps it wasn’t as clear as I thought! xD

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As in, text on a curved path, I believe.

Isn’t that still a single layer for the entire text run? :/

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Isn’t that still a single layer for the entire text run?

In Affinity, yes. The OP seems to be saying that when exporting (as .svg, or whatever) to allow importing into another application, each letter ends up on its own layer.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yes he's right, since that's the way Affinity seems to generate and write out curved text on exports. - Here is for example how it writes out curved text in SVG ...

curved_text.jpg.e23a05d74674f3cae85ec8a8c09f6648.jpg

And here is how you would usually do such things in SVG code ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone,

was there a solution here? I got a very similar problem today and would like to create templates for a supplier.
The supplier has to insert his designs using Photoshop or Illustrator and return it.

But they should also provide information about Pantone values on the right side as Text.

I cannot manage to export a file with editable text – no matter in what format.

There are absolutely no effects applied to the text.
I also thought about whether it was because the text was placed on the master page, but it was not.

Thanks for any information on this, I have attached the file.

Cheers

Material_Template_Test.afpub

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

35 minutes ago, MrDoodlezz said:

I cannot manage to export a file with editable text – no matter in what format.

PDF.

-- Walt
PC:

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

PDF.

Well, that's a bit of a short »solution«, isn't it, Walt?

Obviously I already tested PDF, unfortunately only works for Illustrator alone, and
even then not as one expected – all text frames are separated and disconnected.

So not a solution after all, I guess.

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

28 minutes ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Well, that's a bit of a short »solution«, isn't it, Walt?

Well, except for that: If you're working with someone who  must use Photoshop or Illustrator, then that's what you should be using, too. Or you might buy them a redemption code for a copy of Publisher, and give them a .afpub file.

-- Walt
PC: