You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another awesome feature

Today, I've found another awesome feature :( And I've started to have some feeling that Publisher isn't developed for bigger projects. 

I had to change the location of my linked files. So I expected, that some change of directory with images will be enough. But when the window to find the lost link is open, you don't know, which file is missing. So by accident I replaced some of images in my project and now, I'm not able to replace them back to original images. When I click to "replace image" nothing is happend :((( So maybe back to InDesign.

I am confident that Serif will even fix this (known) bug until official release.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi,

Can you give me a bit of a recipe to follow demonstrating being unable to replace an image? I've just had a quick look and replaced an image to another image, and have no issues changing it back if need be.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I think it is not (mainly) about replacing an image, but the fact that Publisher won't show which image has to be re-linked in the alert window. See recipe below.

1. Create a folder with a few images.

2. Place / link them in Publisher. Save and close.

3. Rename folder.

4. Open document. The alert pops up, that some images are missing and if you want to re-link them. Do so ... perhaps your remembrance is better than mine? Which was the first-placed-image? If you fail, at least two images are linked wrong.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I first reported this problem back in September, 2018:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Thanks, I've made sure the suggestions are passed on. It current doesn't seem to be suggesting any filename for me at all when finding missing resources on file load, so I do agree this can be improved.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Sorry, I had to correct the spelling mistakes. ;)

5 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Thanks, I've made sure the suggestions bugs are passed on. It current doesn't seem to be suggesting any filename for me at all when finding missing resources on file load, so I do agree this can must be improved. 

------

The linking files is such a big weakness of the Publisher. The behaviour around it is really funny. Publisher wants to have all files correctly linked but accorindg to file size it seems all pictures are embeded inside. So I don't know, why the Publisher wants to repair these links.

I understand this in ID when it asks you for changing the links. But in ID links are really links, it means only few amount of data unlike Publisher.

2 hours ago, Hud1ai2 said:

So I don't know, why the Publisher wants to repair these links

The main purpose today for linkng files in Publisher is to allow automatic updating of the Publisher document if the original files are modified.

Or at least automatic notification of changes, if you don't want the updating to happen automatically.

Neither of those can work if Publisher can't find the linked files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.