Hello Team !

i believe Affinity Publisher would do better job and be even competitive if you had a possibility to do OCR or Characters recognition on loaded PDF or scanned documents.
in fact Publisher should be pair correctly with scanners and have Pro level scan functionalities to allow more Pro to converge or convert to it.
There is a capture software called snagit who does that job so why not Publisher ?

Hope this helps !
Blessings.

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

56 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

so why not Publisher ?

Other products are available to perform OCR for PDFs (including the free Tesseract), so why Publisher?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Other products are available to perform OCR for PDFs (including the free Tesseract), so why Publisher?

Because it is always better to have everything in one place.
ONly they don't work as expected then one can search - find - install and use another one (more suitable to him)

Less is more: less installed software on a laptop/mac is still more.

Blessings.

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

ONly they don't work as expected then one can search - find - install and use another one (more suitable to him)

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

The function is usually much better when an application focuses on doing one thing well, or at least a related package of things, and its developers understand that function.

OCR is not related to Publisher's mission, and is not like anything else that Publisher does. If OCR is important to you, use an application focused on OCR and you will have better results.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

Forgot to mention: There are obvious functions missing from Publisher that are related to Publisher's mission (e.g., footnotes). It would be far better for all of Publisher's users to implement those functions, and improve the rough spots in the other Publisher features, than to implement OCR. (In my opinion, of course.)

Also, there's an issue with your suggestion of tieing Publisher into scanning functions, as scanning is not available at all on Windows for the Affinity applications. Unless that can be resolved (which, again, I don't see as a core function of any of the Affinity applications) any efforts made for that in Publisher would ignore a large portion of the Affinity user base.

-- Walt

59 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

Blessings.

Adding OCR can be a can of worms. There are issues with the various flavors of English and then what about other languages? You have snagit so just check out the OCR issue on the Techsmith forums and you will see what I mean/ Everything in one place is not always better; I have seen programs that do everything but not of it very well

You can set up preset in Snagit to do a panoramic capture and automatically have it run it's OCR over the results. I use Nitro for my PDF work and it has a good OCR engine Tessseract may do it; it is free but I have never used it but for you it may be worth a try if you do a lot of conversions

IF you need a hand with setting up a panoramic capture to OCR just say the word

No one is trying to be a wet blanket with your idea, but a lot of programs ditched scanning a long time ago and left it to specialized programs

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 & beta 1.7.0.390 Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 beta  1.7.0.390 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.399

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png