You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to edit fish eye shots which have black surrounds to white. If I do this with a flood fill the edge is left ragged. How should I do this to get a clean circular edge?

It would also be good to know how to cut this out so that the circular image can be superimposed on another background.

Chaz

• Staff

Hi ChazA and Welcome to the Forums,

You could try making the a selection of the black area and then use the Refine Selection option to tidy up the edges of the selection and then fill the selection with white.

To cut the image to put on another background, select the main circular image using the selection tools and then click Edit>Cut and then if you opened another image you can use Edit>Paste to put the circular image on a new background :) 

4 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi ChazA and Welcome to the Forums,

You could try making the a selection of the black area and then use the Refine Selection option to tidy up the edges of the selection and then fill the selection with white.

To cut the image to put on another background, select the main circular image using the selection tools and then click Edit>Cut and then if you opened another image you can use Edit>Paste to put the circular image on a new background :) 

Thanks for that, useful. I am very much a newcomer to Affinity so can I ask how do I make a circular selection? And will it be possible to resize the selection to make it fit nicely on the second image?

Chaz

11 minutes ago, ChazA said:

I am very much a newcomer to Affinity so can I ask how do I make a circular selection?

Use the Elliptical Marquee Tool. Click and drag to make an elliptical selection, and hold down the Shift key while dragging if you want to constrain the selection to a circle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Use the Elliptical Marquee Tool. Click and drag to make an elliptical selection, and hold down the Shift key while dragging if you want to constrain the selection to a circle.

Spot on. Thanks Alfred, the video you linked to makes that very clear. I will give this a try over the weekend.