You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

With the Plus range, in PagePlus, DrawPlus and ImpactPlus there were galleries of images ready to use (3d images with ImpactPlus - yes, old software now but it work on Windows 10 and is still great).

I am using the trial version of Affinity Designer and I searched for Gallery and I searched for Clip Art but I could not find anything.

I therefore write to suggest a new product for the Affinity Range, namely Affinity Gallery where there are drawn images that can be combined and used in Affinity Publisher and Affinity Designer.

Does Serif still have one or more artists on its staff? There used to be several when CraftArtist was prominent.

Yet this will be a different type of Gallery than anything that I have ever seen, though maybe such things do exist.

For example, usually with trees one gets one each of several types, not several of the same type yet different in detail each from the other as happens in real life with real trees.

For example, if there is a group of birch trees, they are not all exactly the same.

In clip art one can sometimes get one image for a group of trees, but it is always the same group.

I am thinking of something like seven different images, vector if possible so that a PDF can be a reasonable size, each of one birch tree so that end users can construct a realistic group of birch trees as he or she chooses, say writing a poem about birch trees and including images of birch trees, a group of three here and a group of four there.

Not just birch trees though, other types of tree as well.

Also, for people. Could there be the same person in ten or fifteen different images so that an end user could build up a story? And that for three or four people. So that way there could be end user creativity of constructing publications. Maybe with a text story, maybe with captions, maybe with text in speech bubbles added by the end user.

Then there could be buildings, such as the same cottage viewed from several angles so that one can build up a story.

Does anyone like the idea?

I know that some end users can draw the images themselves with Affinity Designer, but not all of us can do that.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I think the Assets panel will probably do what you want from the standpoint of building up you own standard sets of ‘things’ to put in your documents. (Everyone will have their own ideas about what ‘things’ they need.)

As for including a set of ready-made clip-art with the Affinity products, I don’t think that’s something which is needed these days. (E.g. Just do a web search for ‘clip-art tree’ and you will get more vector trees than you can shake the proverbial stick at.) The “Resources” section of this forum also gives people plenty of ideas for places to get quality stuff from. (Edit: haakoo just got in there before me.)

Edited by GarryP

6 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Try search for DAM here on the fora because in essence this is what you want.

I did that and I am not sure of what I got. It seems to stand for Digital Assets Management, not for actual images?

7 minutes ago, haakoo said:

As for clipart,
It would bloat the affinity range and may have copyright issues.

Well, from 3 products to 4, well a 33.3% recurring increase in the number of products. But adding Affinity Publisher will increase the Affinity range of products by 50%, so I say that that is not an issue.

You mention copyright. Copyright would be taken care of by the artwork being developed by Serif and its use being royalty-free as part of its terms and conditions.

Licensing of stuff is a big issue and important. For example, I have produced a novel using PagePlus and I have published it on the web but I have been most careful only to use fonts that Serif have supplied and those that I have made myself. Many fonts available elsewhere have End User Licence Agreements that have clauses that require expensive add-on licensing for using the font embedded in a web publication. So I avoid them.

16 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Besides there are many free or paid clip art repositories on the net. 

I am just wanting something from Serif because then I will have an easy way to know that I am alright to use it in web publications, provided that Serif licences it for that. I really just want to be able to get on with doing stuff and not get clogged down spending lots of time making sure that I get everything legal. For the avoidance of doubt, I know that use must be legal and I make sure that my use is legal - I just do not want to spend lots of time trying to deal with lots of different rules from different suppliers.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

20 minutes ago, GarryP said:

As for including a set of ready-made clip-art with the Affinity products, I don’t think that’s something which is needed these days.

For the avoidance of doubt, I did not suggest including a set of ready-made clip-art with the Affinity products, I am suggesting a stand-alone product Affinity Gallery that each use could buy or not buy as he or she chooses.

Well, I would like such a product.

William

Of course it's up to Serif if they want to produce more software/clipart, but personally I'd prefer it if they concentrate on developing the Affinity apps they already have.

To be honest I rarely used any of the included clipart in the old "Plus" range (most of it was pretty awful and would be very dated now).

If you want clip art there's plenty available, just Google for what you want. :)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

43 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Well, from 3 products to 4, well a 33.3% recurring increase in the number of products. But adding Affinity Publisher will increase the Affinity range of products by 50%, so I say that that is not an issue.

You could have said 33⅓%, thereby avoiding the possibility of misinterpretation: as written, the first sentence quoted above looks as though it refers to a “recurring increase”. Even if you read it as “thirty-three point three percent recurring”, you end up with the entire percentage recurring rather than just the (point) three. ;)

You’ve miscounted, anyway. When Affinity Publisher for Mac and Windows is released to retail, there will be eight products in the Affinity range — three for Mac, three for Windows and two for iPad — so a cross-platform digital content product would increase the total by only 12½%.

Licensing of stuff is a big issue and important. For example, I have produced a novel using PagePlus and I have published it on the web but I have been most careful only to use fonts that Serif have supplied and those that I have made myself. Many fonts available elsewhere have End User Licence Agreements that have clauses that require expensive add-on licensing for using the font embedded in a web publication. So I avoid them.

If you’re really avoiding fonts other than those supplied by Serif or made by you, you’re missing out on a huge range of high-quality fonts released under generous licensing terms such as those of the SIL Open Font License.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

If you’re really avoiding fonts other than those supplied by Serif or made by you, you’re missing out on a huge range of high-quality fonts released under generous licensing terms such as those of the SIL Open Font License.

Yes this is true. I had forgotten about those. There is Gentium for example.

William

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

In time they need to charge a fee because there has to be  a designer to create it.

The thing is, if remember correctly, when CraftArtist was in its prime Serif had several artists on its staff, producing art.

I do not know if Serif still has an artist on its staff - maybe Serif will say or maybe it is commercially confidential information.

I am happy to pay a fee for something if I consider that it is worth buying and suitable for my needs or wants.

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Of course it's up to Serif if they want to produce more software/clipart, but personally I'd prefer it if they concentrate on developing the Affinity apps they already have. 

Well whilst appreciating that there could be people who have abilities in both producing high quality software and also producing high quality art work, the two cultures of our civilization may well mean that most likely those producing high quality software and those producing high quality artwork are not the same people - though not necessarily.

William

10 minutes ago, William Overington said:

There is Gentium for example.

Just one of a long list! And, of course, the SIL OFL dictates that any derivatives must be released under the same licensing terms.

Alfred spacer.png

24 minutes ago, William Overington said:

some other fonts

*many other fonts

Most of the fonts distributed via the Font Squirrel† website are released under the SIL OFL.

† If you visit the site before Easter, you’ll see that the O in ‘FONT’ has been replaced by an Easter egg and the squirrel has been given bunny ears and a basket. :D

Alfred spacer.png

18 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@Alfred *Sorry for your loss* 

As I’m sure you know, @haakoo, that was mean to be a superscript ‘dagger’ for a footnote‡ (because I’d already used an asterisk for something else) but I ran up against the forum’s formatting limitations. ;)

‡ With hindsight, I should have used a double dagger or one of these things: ⁂ (asterism)

Alfred spacer.png

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

Josie, Patrick has already given you an answer to this question:

"Just Google copyright free art and check the terms and conditions carefully about selling the art. Most artists don't allow reselling. You could always ask to license the artworks and sell with the artists approval."

Why not head over to a forum that's dedicated to artists and artwork such as https://forum.deviantart.com/. I'm sure they'll know the best places to find such artwork but if you're reselling artwork you will need to be prepared to pay for artwork. Artists have bills to pay too :)