You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just now, SMXBob said:

@Brad Brighton that's what I found but only if I cancel out of editing my RAW file which closes it. I don't see how you edit RAW files with this app. But I guess that's finding a video on how you get started with this thing. Thanks for the help.

@SMXBob Ah, so the trials may be getting clearer.

In my APh experience (limited as it is) RAW development is meant to be a finite state of action, not the primary one. You're tweaking the things that are the intersection of what any given RAW format might offer (which varies by name and function not just by vendor but by format within vendor offerings) and what the Serif folks have implemented editing capabilities for to date.

Most of your work will be in the Photo persona after you've developed (or not) the RAW file. There are different approaches as you'll see in the tutorials and different opinions about whether you'd do a certain adjustment in Develop or Photo (if such an adjustment is offered in both). 

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

5 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

I don't see how you edit RAW files with this app. But I guess that's finding a video on how you get started with this thing.

Try the RAW Development section of the Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials (200+) topic. You may also find the RAW, Actually Affinity Spotlight article helpful for background info.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

That's the description I have found but where do I find it in the app?

That's a shortcoming across the help system.

46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Ad Block for Chrome defaults to 'allowing some non-intrusive advertising,'

Thank you! Unchecking this box fixed the Ad issue. While poking around in AdBlock Plus, I also found several add-on filters that I didn't know about, one of which is supposed to improve Internet privacy. 

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

Regarding Soft Proofing, I strongly recommend watchig the Affinity video tutorial on Soft Proofing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

I don't see how you edit RAW files with this app.

You must finish in the Develop Persona before you can do anything else - you can re-enter Develop at any time. Instead of canceling just press the Develop button. That will put you in main app with access to all the tools.

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Hmmm. When I use Safari on my iPad (with no ad blocker) I get ads, but I also get the 3 Affinity Photo help topics below the ads.

It looks as though you missed @haakoo’s observation:

51 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@Alfred

Change the language from English (UK) to English(US) bottom left

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It looks as though you missed @haakoo’s observation:

It isn't so much that I missed it as that I had no reason to switch to English(UK) to test with that version. I suppose someone should report that issue, probably in one of the iPad forums.

EDIT: I suppose someone should report similar problems with accessing the online Affinity Designer help from iOS devices: I just tried searching Designer help with "Preferences" & (with an ad blocker enabled) I got 1 hit ("Customizing the Toolbar") with UK while with US I got several pages of them. All are 'en-US' affinity.help web pages, but some of the ones beginning on page 3 or so are for Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I suppose someone should report that issue, probably in one of the iPad forums.

The ‘Please read before posting bugs’ thread in the Bugs on iPad forum tells me that it’s for reporting bugs encountered when using Affinity software. It isn’t obvious where web page/browser issues should be reported.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The ‘Please read before posting bugs’ thread in the Bugs on iPad forum tells me that it’s for reporting bugs encountered when using Affinity software. It isn’t obvious where web page/browser issues should be reported.

I might report them in Customer Service, Accounts, and Purchasing but I'm not really sure that's right, either.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

True, but I just noticed that @Patrick Connor 'awarded' one of my earlier posts a 'Confused' so maybe <hint! hint!> he can alert whoever is responsible for the online help stuff about this issue.

BTW, from what little I understand about Google Custom searches, it should at least be possible to set it up so even without ad blockers, the Affinity results are listed first, above any ads.

Affinity Photo 

Thanks all for the feedback and comments. Apparently I posted too many yesterday and was locked out...

It's a dilemma between the evil monopoly and learning new software. At this age I don't know which is worse or better...

I've used Lightroom a long time, don't use Photoshop but I think Affinity is more like Photoshop. Lightroom is strictly for photography, you can't actually manipulate a photo's composition, just the exposure. It has a workflow like photo processing. Overall, I think Affinity looks good but has a few bugs and a learning curve.

6 hours ago, SMXBob said:

I've used Lightroom a long time, don't use Photoshop but I think Affinity is more like Photoshop

I've never used Lightroom but have been in the image editing space for a very long time and understand what it does (and envy the exposed API that allows things like MIDI2LR to integrate control surfaces). AP is indeed more like PS than LR so what you choose to do depends on how much you like the additional creativity that AP provides.

If you are drawn more closely to what LR provides, especially in terms DAM you probably should consider OnOne's Photo RAW, which also has a free trial and is purchased rather than rented. Although it has incredible filters and very advanced and flexible control in terms of restricting filter application (beyond what you can do easily with masks). It doesn't provide things like the Pen tool so doesn't venture as far into PS territory as AP does - like LR, it's orientation is focused more on photography, and it provides DAM at least as good as LR.

If, however, you are drawn to the vast creative possibilities of PS, then AP is, I believe, a much better choice than Photo RAW. 

Here's how I formed the above opinion. I pirated PS for years before I actually needed am image editor for my software work. When I did, I bought CS2 (or 3, don't remember which) and updated the license until Adobe got greedy. In my software work I needed a a plugin that resized images better than PS did natively, so I bought something that evolved into OnOne's Photo Suite which I also kept up to date.

After I retired I needed a hobby; I thought it was going to be writing software (as it had been since the TRS-80 days), but found that I was irrevocably burned out. I needed something else, and decided artistic image editing would be a good fit.

By this time OnOne had created Photo Raw (which I has also upgraded to), so I buried myself in it.  I loved it and its very different approach to filter stacks. But for me its DAM got in the way, the lack of a Pen tool and the inability to edit more than one image at a time, as well as the lack of a vibrant support community meant I needed to look elsewhere.

I was fortunate to find AP and am now learning it nearly full time. My plan is to use AP and AD as my main tools and perhaps supplement with Photo RAW for things I can't do as well in Affinity products. AP has the tools I need and a much better support infrastructure. Like PS, it makes artistic work much easier than either Photo RAW or LR.

Sorry I went on so long, but I wanted you to understand the basis for my opinion. I hope it helps.