You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just downloaded the trial version and in 5 minutes already having issues including passwords don't match for this forum yet they do...

Does help work? I wanted to check how you do Soft proofing but a blank page comes up after clicking the help topic.

• Staff

The password to logon to this forum, may be different to the password used to create an account on our site to download the trial, it will depend on what you specified. The password for the forums is working as you have posted this question. The help being blank may be down to the version of OS you're using, the online help is available here, this is the same as what you would find in the app.

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

the online help is available here, this is the same as what you would find in the app.

But only if you are using the Mac version, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am using the latest OS for Mac. 

I clicked on the help link you provided above and  then typed in Soft Proof and the attached image is what I get. You apparently don't even create your own help app unless you have ownership in the first three companies being promoted.  

As far as the password... what I was explaining was the page to create my login the message kept saying they don't match but it accepted it anyway. 

But I think I've tested it enough to know this is not an alternative for Lightroom, unfortunately. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 9.18.43 AM.png

27 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

I am using the latest OS for Mac. 

I clicked on the help link you provided above and  then typed in Soft Proof and the attached image is what I get. You apparently don't even create your own help app unless you have ownership in the first three companies being promoted.  

As far as the password... what I was explaining was the page to create my login the message kept saying they don't match but it accepted it anyway. 

But I think I've tested it enough to know this is not an alternative for Lightroom, unfortunately. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 9.18.43 AM.png

I get the same result which is indeed strange. In the offline help (via the Help/Help... menu) returns this:

image.png.a2d468c94a7c42a4a25790cf4ebb0ff3.png

Didn't you try that first?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

28 minutes ago, casterle said:

I get the same result which is indeed strange.

After clicking on the Affinity Photo link at https://affinity.help I get this:
1024710081_softproof.jpg.cb20fafc811b0e11544568689e4538d5.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@SMXBob & @casterle

The link @Lee D provided (https://affinity.help) is to the top level Affinity help page. It should display two links with logos, one for Affinity Photo (https://affinity.help/photo/index.html) & one for Affinity Designer (https://affinity.help/designer/index.html). Clicking on either one should open the online help index page for the appropriate app, & (where possible) redirect you to the appropriate language version of the index. So for example, I am in the US so the Affinity Photo help index page I get is https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html.

There is no search function on the top level Affinity help page, so if you use your browser's search function while on that (or any other) page, you will be searching on the phrase you entered using your browser's default search engine, not the Google Custom Search Affinity help uses on its index pages.

Affinity Photo 

I don't know why there is an argument about this. How to get to Soft Proof was what I was looking for to compare it to Lightroom.  Yet after several hours I have no idea how you get to it nor what happened to help directly from the app.

It should not be this difficult.

After clicking both links from RC-R and Lee D this is what I get which should be correct.  

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.00.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.00.44 PM.png

3 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

After clicking both links from RC-R and Lee D this is what I get which should be correct. 

So after doing that & entering "soft proof" in the Google Custom Search field & clicking the magnifying glass search icon to the right of that field, you still get a search results page with links to something other than to the 3 Affinity Photo help topics shown in my last reply?

I am using the Safari browser. Which browser are you using?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, SMXBob said:

Yes that is what I had tried first the help via the help menu. When I clicked on Soft Proof I got a blank page. I still don't know where you find it or turn it on...

I don't understand why that is happening. I don't get a blank page. 

Here is a direct link to the on-line version:

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Adjustments/adjustment_softProof.html?title=Soft Proof adjustment

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

33 minutes ago, casterle said:

I'm using Chrome on Windows., and I get results with the off-putting ads:

In both Safari and iCab Mobile on iOS, I also get the ads but I get no results:

07B0F747-EB56-4772-8AA8-B5637D8689CC.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

FYI, Anecdata, YMMV, etc: Safari/Mac Version 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4)

• visit https://affinity.help
  • click Photo
  • type "soft proof" into the box and hit return (or click the magnifying glass, tried both)
  • get the ads. See attached screenshot
  • EDIT: In my case, scroll down and the results are there

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.43.28 PM.png

Edited by Brad Brighton
Added that the results do show up for me below the ads

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I think throwing in the online help has detoured the conversation. Originally, from the app I used the Help menu, typed in Soft Proof and then got the blank page shown below. I also tried the Affinity Photo Help from the menu but just got a single line explaining what Soft Proof Adjustments are.

But still nothing has shown me where you access Soft Proof. Even if I cancel out of Develop mode (which is where Soft Proof should be) I still can't find Soft Proof but the photo is gone as well so what would be the point. 

I'm coming from years of using Lightroom. This is obviously different which is why I was relying on help...

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.36.07 PM.png

29 minutes ago, casterle said:

I'm using Chrome on Windows., and I get results with the off-putting ads:

OK, I think I see why (& why I don't see them). On my Mac I normally use the Safari browser with an ad blocker enabled, which prevents the ads from showing. I sometimes use Chrome, & like you I use the very popular Ad Block extension with it. But unlike the Safari ad blocker, Ad Block for Chrome defaults to 'allowing some non-intrusive advertising,' which apparently considers some of the ads you see as non-intrusive. Turn off that default & you won't see any ads.

BTW, even with the default Ad Block setting, I do get the 3 Affinity Photo help topics in the search results below the ads.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

I think throwing in the online help has detoured the conversation. Originally, from the app I used the Help menu, typed in Soft Proof and then got the blank page shown below. I also tried the Affinity Photo Help from the menu but just got a single line explaining what Soft Proof Adjustments are.

But still nothing has shown me where you access Soft Proof. Even if I cancel out of Develop mode (which is where Soft Proof should be) I still can't find Soft Proof but the photo is gone as well so what would be the point. 

I'm coming from years of using Lightroom. This is obviously different which is why I was relying on help...

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.36.07 PM.png

I'm pretty sure there's a logged bug about the help in Mojave in the prod version of Photo... which is probably why everyone is referring to the online version. :-D

See: 

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do get the 3 Affinity Photo help topics in the search results

So how come I don’t get any results in Safari on my iPad? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@SMXBob and to your specific functionality question (vs the help functionality itself), check out the online help as shown in the attached screenshot.Is that what you're looking for?

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 1.01.46 PM.png

11 minutes ago, SMXBob said:

That's the description I have found but where do I find it in the app? What is the menu? Command? Icon? that you select? I don't see Adjustments as a top level menu or icon.

@SMXBob Looks like you can get to it both from Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Soft Proof Adjustment or in the Adjustment tab of the Studio (see screenshot)

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 1.22.21 PM.png

OK aside from the help that doesn't help... For whatever reason you open a RAW file and end up in Develop mode which is limited for some reason. But that is where you do everything in Lightroom. I read a lot of comparisons, not sure how this is really an alternative, basically starting over.

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In both Safari and iCab Mobile on iOS, I also get the ads but I get no results:

Hmmm. When I use Safari on my iPad (with no ad blocker) I get ads, but I also get the 3 Affinity Photo help topics below the ads.

Affinity Photo