You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New convention art WIP Metropolis

segts

I have been spending the past couple weeks creating the art for an upcoming convention. I decided to color the art in Designer and I really am glad that I’ve made that decision. It’s been fun exploring Designer’s strengths. This is a work in progress, but it by far is the piece I’m most excited about. I have always loved the film, Metropolis and I’m so glad that I get a chance to reference it in my work. I’ll post what the final image looks like.

Best!

Stephen :)

ECA17AC2-22FA-4A2E-8A20-3DF593AB5C18.thumb.png.1d7e39114a44d5a51393fd225779f46d.png

Glad to see that an old film like that still has some impact and provides inspiration to the modern world.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

2 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Glad to see that an old film like that still has some impact and provides inspiration to the modern world.

Thanks @AffinityJules! It’s actually one of my favorite films. I first saw it years ago when I was a little kid and it really left an indelible mark.

And thanks for the kind words @casterle!!!!

Here’s the final!

Stephen :)

F0746AFD-4D91-475C-AE95-9FC48BA9706A.thumb.png.626807ccb4c2a99430154b01b4c56172.png

Lovely stuff.

It’s all great, but I especially like the lighting/shadows on the buildings.

P.S. The 1984 Giorgio Moroder restoration of the film with a pop soundtrack was a good version from what I can remember. (It sounds weird but worked strangely well.)

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

Lovely stuff.

It’s all great, but I especially like the lighting/shadows on the buildings.

P.S. The 1984 Giorgio Moroder restoration of the film with a pop soundtrack was a good version from what I can remember. (It sounds weird but worked strangely well.)

I tried to watch that version, but it didn’t work for me. I do like the mechanical sound of the synthesizers with the imagery, but the overall effect felt a little overpowering. It’s a really interesting concept though! :)

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. I was really making up the look as I went along to try to mimic the original poster as best I could without using raster painting. :)

Yeah, it’s probably not for everyone. I watched it back in the late 80’s – late-night UK Channel 4 if my memory serves me correctly - so there’s a chance I might not like it now either.

You’re welcome. When I first got Designer I tried to make a replica of the original poster but I quickly got to the stage where I realised that I didn’t have the skills/talent required to make it look good so I gave up. (Designer is the sort of application that inspires people to make stuff but some of us just don’t make the grade when it comes to artistic things.) Your version is far superior to mine and very much deserves all the praise it’s given.

@GarryP You should share your version. I'd love to see it! 

I had a great print of Metropolis and I misplaced it and could never find a replacement. I'm still on the lookout for a good print. Shot for shot, it's such a masterpiece. If you like films that are visually stunning, I recommend Electra Glide in Blue. It's a forgotten film that has some amazing art direction!

I think I’ll keep my version to myself. I didn’t get very far with it and, looking at it just now, it was even more basic than I remembered. I got some of the background done but as soon as I started on the robot I saw that I simply didn’t have the artistic ability to get anywhere with it that I would have been happy with.

I’ll keep my eye out for Electra Glide in Blue just in case I spot it being shown on a movie channel somewhere; thanks.

7 hours ago, segts said:

I recommend Electra Glide in Blue. It's a forgotten film that has some amazing art direction!

Absolutely!

That film is definitely a classic. Seen it a few times - more so in the past, but not lately.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:10 AM, AffinityJules said:

Absolutely!

That film is definitely a classic. Seen it a few times - more so in the past, but not lately.

Yeah. It’s interesting that the director of photography of all the John Houston western films was asked to shoot Electra. He agreed to do the film and bring that vast and majestic visual style to the exterior shots only if he could shoot all of the interiors his way. The director of Electra agreed and the results really make the film. The framing and intense closeups for the interior shots are a great contrast to the never-ending landscapes. :)

I love films from the late 60s and early 70s. They’re the best!

On 4/26/2019 at 5:28 PM, digital_wampa said:

Cool - inspired by the classic movie poster but definitely your own style.

Thank you!!!! I just send the design out for a fabric sample! I’ll post the sample when I get it in :)