You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stylistic Alternates not working

I have had this issue thru all builds of the Beta, I am currently updated to 1.7.0.9.

I'm running MacOSX 10.14.3 but have had it on the last two OS versions as well and on a second computer (also Mac)

I have spoken to the Font Creator (a well regarded pro) and he sees no reason why this should be happening.

He has agreed to let me share his paid font with the Beta team for testing.

As you can see in the screen shots, his font have numerous alternates that work perfectly in Designer 1.6.1

However the same text (copy pasted or retyped) does not have this same choices in 1.7.0.9

If someone would like to contact me with an email address i can send the font for you to reproduce the issue.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 5.08.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 5.09.02 PM.png

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 12:27 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for the fonts Rivka. I've reproduced this and will get it passed on to development.

How did things go with this? I see the company is promoting the exact fonts i was talking about on the site (which is awesome, he is amazing) , so i assume the issue has been sorted out?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of advanced typography features seem to be broken in 1.7. It's not just stylistic sets and alternates but also subscript / superscript etc... 

I somehow thought this was so obvious someone already reported it but it somehow slipped through the cracks :-(  

15 hours ago, Goner__ said:

A lot of advanced typography features seem to be broken in 1.7. It's not just stylistic sets and alternates but also subscript / superscript etc... 

Since you mentioned sub- and superscript: The handling of those was intentionally changed in 1.7.

The settings for sub- and superscripts in the Typography part of the Character Panel now work only when the font supplies those glyphs. When the font does not supply the glyphs you need to tell Publisher to "fake" the characters by using the Position and Transform part of the panel.

Edit: Or Designer, as Sean P points out below. Sorry; didn't notice this was a Designer topic when I first posted.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

When the font does not supply the glyphs you need to tell Publisher to "fake" the characters by using the Position and Transform part of the panel.

Just to add that this option is in Designer too and is found on the Character Panel in the S: dropdown.

CharacterPanel.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the subscript / superscript clarifications, Walt and Sean. 

Still, the advanced typography features palette deserves to be looked at... ;-) 

And as always: a big thanks to Serif for providing us with such excellent products! 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.