You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting up a greyscale document is ...

On 7/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, thomaso said:

Good point – but actually the document color space profile should not create the output problem, because a conversion to pure print greyscale can be done on export with an according profile (as yours for instance).

The major issue here is in my opinion that the default preset for PDF/X-3 does not respect the "Gray/8" "D-50" document color space.
It shows in its default setting no entry for an export profile and creates an Output indent "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 (Custom)".

1044859685_greyscaleexport1.jpg.06bfadf7a8c352c20cfb7c7335205024.jpg

To get a real K-only grayscale PDF you need to manually select a grayscale profile for export :

985257821_greyscaleexport2.jpg.7c84bcee990092859401e96046cf131d.jpg

– or, simplier of cause, indeed work already in the according document color space with no need to care about export profiles:

681037250_greyscaleexport3.jpg.ecc924fd035b1a1e1c4b5359fc87b73a.jpg

Thanks looks i cannot even select this D50 profile. and thanks thisblackwhite profile where is samekind profile for uncoated?

16 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

Thanks looks i cannot even select this D50 profile. and thanks thisblackwhite profile where is samekind profile for uncoated?

In my experience, the D50 profile is part of the APub installation (the color space must be set to grayscale for D50 to be available). Note that D50 is an RGB profile and therefore causes four channels for CMYK output, not black channel only. Missing profiles can be installed manually and obtained from either a print provider or via internet search.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

53 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Missing profiles can be installed manually and obtained from either a print provider or via internet search.

Such a profile can be easily "made" with Photoshop: Simply select a color profile in grayscale. Then only the black ink is automatically loaded. Then save this profile separately.

182519507_BildschirmfotoSchwarzeDruckfarbe.png.f9b66aaa8f6e883946eaec3504cf3cff.png

Schwarze Druckfarbe - Euroscale Uncoated v2.icm

Thanks to DeepL.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, thomaso said:

In my experience, the D50 profile is part of the APub installation (the color space must be set to grayscale for D50 to be available). Note that D50 is an RGB profile and therefore causes four channels for CMYK output, not black channel only. Missing profiles can be installed manually and obtained from either a print provider or via internet search.

Print work maker talks only colour profile but still does black and white things. and they sayed use their instructions. and their price is reason why i imagine even use them.