You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good Evening, I'm on the trial version at the moment; comparing Photoshop 2019 (subscription).
I haven't found a 'replace' function in th Affinity version. Just not looking in the correct area?
Wondering about the possibility of increase the font size in the User Interface. Is it adjustable?
Noticed I have to reselect measurement settings in Resizing Document with each image: pixel, inches...
It's crashed once so far. Perhaps, I have to many things open.
Perspective Warp seems buggy. Works on a couple of images then doesn't. Have to export and reopen to make the adjustment. I'm wondering if it is after a specific sequence of operations that causes the glitch. 
Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

The forum is full of feedback :D 

Affinity isn't Photoshop, it lacks the 25 years of comparative development Photoshop has had to get it where it is today so trying to compare Affinity Photo to Photoshop isn't really a viable approach.

Look at Affinity Photo on its own merits and see if it fits with your workflow, anything you think can be improved or is missing can be highlighted here or you could post a feature request and or highlight an improvement that can benefit the Affinity community, it's always worth doing this, do a search on the feedback forum and add to a post if that request has already been added. The reason most people come to affinity products is because its value for money and in the time its been live they have brought a capable series of apps to the masses. 

• By "replace" I assume you mean in relation to text replace as in find and replace?
  • Font size can be adjusted in the UI from the app. Any such setting would appear in the apps Preferences under User Interface, at the moment you can have default or large but no slider at present.
  • There are a lot of settings that need to be changed to sticky settings, which should hopefully be added before v2
  • Crashing can be as a consequence of many things, crash reports help us and the mods help you and updating graphic drivers will if you have't already done so.
  • Explain what you mean by Buggy?

Add your system, operating system/s and the apps you use to your signature in account settings, saves people having to ask for this info all the time.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Font size can be adjusted in the UI from the app. Any such setting would appear in the apps Preferences under User Interface, at the moment you can have default or large but no slider at present.

That's Mac-only, I believe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

59 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's Mac-only, I believe.

Maybe there should be differences list between each app on windows and Mac

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Maybe there should be differences list between each app on windows and Mac

And maybe the differences among the various store versions, due to sandboxing in some & not others, & differences in how they are updated?

Thing is, I am fairly sure some of this will change when v1.7 goes retail -- for example, the Mac-only View > Media Browser has already been removed from the Mac customer betas, & they say it won't be coming back. So the list could end up being fairly complex, broken down by more than just Mac & Windows differences.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have Windows 10, latest version. ASUS GV75VW,  i7 Intel,  USB 3, 16 Gigs of RAM, a Terabyte of HDD on the Laptop, store all files on 16 Terabytes external HDD USB 3, only the Apps reside on the Laptop. 

* Replace: Replace Colour.
* Buggy perhaps is the wrong term.

I am currently cataloging my CDs and Vinyl collection on Discogs.com while ripping them and creating an Excel spreadsheet of the inventory. During this process, I am also photographing the Booklets, Covers, Media to upload to the site. The site not only provides a cataloging feature but also a market, internationally.

I load the photo series for a given CD I've just shot into Affinity, as I did in Photoshop. Work on and title each picture, move on to the next in the series. Affinity's Perspective adjustment on a few occasions since the trial began a few days ago, just stops working. Highlights the border of the picture, no grid though one is selected and did appear on the previous file. The only way around it is by exporting, closing and reopening.

What drew me to Affinity was an article where it was reported, by someone representing the company, states, it's better! Not that I believe everything I read, but that's quite a claim considering the price and size of the download. Photoshop is now 2 GB installed.

I'm not a professional user and most of Photoshop is unused. Though I'm hellbent on learning :) Perhaps what I am looking for is the obvious. Things commonly found in other software (I use Photoshop as an example, because that's what I have) that could or should be found in Affinity.

I keep hearing about version 2. Is it around the corner? As mentioned on another post, here, I am looking to switch as the cost, based on currency exchange, is getting too high; though the package of PS and LR with free updates including major ...... Anyway, I would be a little miffed if I buy and a couple months later a new and improved version arrives with no recourse. I've gone through that with a couple of software packages: JRiver Media Center, new buy in for every minor change called a 'version' every 10 to 12 months. NIK Collection $400, maybe it was $499. Google bought out, sets the sell for $149. a couple months later. (Google kindly refunded the difference, then a couple of months later after that, set it for 'free').  The new owners, DxO, are charging $60 Cdn for the NIK plugins, which work nicely with Affinity, by the way. DxO offers an alternative to Photoshop for $130 Euros, I think, free trial. It's sort of a Lightroom/Photoshop.

Shutterbug (2015) Well, Affinity Photo from Serif Labs is here to address the naysayers among us. First of all, it’s available at a one-time price, and a very inviting one at that: for $49.99, you get not only the software, but also all future updates and releases.

DP Review (2015) Serif has launched Affinity Photo software, an alternative to Adobe Photoshop for Mac users. The company touches on a couple different notable selling points: its software is considerably cheaper than Photoshop, but no less robust, and comes with the added benefit of silky-smooth operation, at least according to its maker. Additionally, because it is newly created for the latest hardware, Serif says Affinity Photo offers performance that Photoshop struggles to match.

Affinity Photo is currently in beta, and can be acquired for free by signing up on Serif's website. Once the software exits beta, it'll be offered on the Mac App Store with two years of free upgrades for $50. Windows users may also be able to use the software at some point, with Serif expressing interest in bringing it to the platform. No information on when that might happen has been provided, however.

CB Creative Blog (1 month ago) Fully compatible with Photoshop and other file formats, Affinity Photo is aimed squarely at professional photographers and designers, and although it is hugely cheaper than Photoshop (with no subscription), its creators argue it's actually better. We think it's perhaps the most serious Photoshop alternative we've seen to date. 

Good Review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/software-review-affinity-photo-1-5-2 

I would have to agree, the bulk of Photoshop has made it a sloth loading. Operations like resizing get the spinning wheel. The Crop Tool is not as nice to work with. I already see a difference in speed in loading and performing various tasks.

9 hours ago, GregP said:

Anyway, I would be a little miffed if I buy and a couple months later a new and improved version arrives with no recourse

1.6 is the current version

1.7 is well into its beta testing and expected to be released "soon"

If you buy version 1.6 now, you get the 1.7 version for free when it is released

You will also get versions 1.8 and 1.9 for free when released

You will only need to pay for the next major upgrade, which will be version 2.x but upgrading to version 2.x will be optional. Your current version will continue to work and if it does what you want you can choose not to upgrade to version 2.x

Version 2.x (in my opinion) will not be ready anytime in the next year and conceivably could be 2 to 3 years away, so I think you are safe purchasing the product now and getting your money's worth  

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.