You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about booleen operation

Hi!  I'm back!!!  LOL  So, I realize that we don't have a merge function in AD.  I understand that I can put two objects into a layer L and I understand about the groups as well.   And I don't mind doing this, but it makes things harder for a client to understand if she wants to edit a color or shape.  So, I've been playing with the booleen (sp wrong) operation and I can put them together if I click add, but when I do that it makes the color of both objects the same.  I'm putting two objects together that are two colors and I would like them to remain that way and I haven't found this by searching and trying to figure out myself.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Thank you in advance!!

The spelling is Boolean.

It is named in honour of George Boole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Boole

Alas I do not know the answer to your question but hopefully someone else will and will post.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

An example of what you are working on might help.

To help people understand what Boolean Merge does in Illustrator, the blue circle was uppermost (on top)
Screen-Shot-2019-04-17-at-08-17-26.png

Merge: Removes the part of a filled object that is hidden. Removes any strokes and merges any adjoining or overlapping objects filled with the same color.

Source: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/combining-objects.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

To get a comparable effect in Affinity

1. Make 2 circles
  2. Colour them
  3. Duplicate the top layer circle
  4. Select the 2 lower circle layers and do a boolean subtract.
  5. group if required.

This will give you the same effect as Boolean merge.

Update: Did the write up in a hurry; what a surprise lol! anyway I missed the part where boolean merge will boolean add together same colour shapes that are adjoining or overlapping, so you would end up with the post merge image if 2 of the circles were the same colour, also notice the strokes have been removed.

Pre Merge
Pre-Merge.png

Post merge
Post-Merge.png

This step makes simulating boolean merge a more hands-on effect, where you would have to manually select any layer that is the same colour and Overlapping or adjoining, The adjoining I think refers more to angular shapes like squares where they are butted together they will merge but circles will not.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions