You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused about "Missing Resources" message

When opening some files from a coworker I get the following:

Designer_2019-04-16_09-36-24.png.50128a4e1b1b65d8ba1420ceba6538a7.png

If I click Yes, I get an Open dialog with the following option:

image.png.aa324622117d4825721540d4d7afaa5d.png

This would make sense for Affinity Publisher, but Designer is the only app we have and use here. Since AD doesn't even have a resource manager, how can I even know which is the name of the missing resource(s)? Aren't all resources in AD embedded? I don't think there is anything missing from the file, so why the question? How can I make it go away?

I'm confused... Please advise, thanks!

• Staff

Hi rubs,

Do you know when your coworker originally made the file? The Link/Embed options were incorrectly enabled on the File > Place dialog in an earlier beta, so it sounds as though they may have had it set to link, which would still cause the message to appear. Despite nothing appearing missing it will still check the file paths if it was accidentally Linked and if it cannot find it, it will display that message.

That said I still don't believe the message should appear at all - for reasons like you say. As opening a Publisher with linked images will probably do the same. Would it be possible for you to attach the file at all?

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi rubs,

Do you know when your coworker originally made the file? The Link/Embed options were incorrectly enabled on the File > Place dialog in an earlier beta, so it sounds as though they may have had it set to link, which would still cause the message to appear. Despite nothing appearing missing it will still check the file paths if it was accidentally Linked and if it cannot find it, it will display that message.

That said I still don't believe the message should appear at all - for reasons like you say. As opening a Publisher with linked images will probably do the same. Would it be possible for you to attach the file at all?

Thanks for your answer, now I understand what's happening. Unfortunately this particular file is subject to an NDA, so it cannot be shared with other people.

Anyway agree with you, this message shouldn't even exist!

• Staff
13 hours ago, rubs said:

Thanks for your answer, now I understand what's happening. Unfortunately this particular file is subject to an NDA, so it cannot be shared with other people.

Anyway agree with you, this message shouldn't even exist!

Not a problem! I was able to reproduce the issue using a Publisher file (which is going to be the more usual case) so I've passed it on to development.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:47 PM, rubs said:

If I click Yes, I get an Open dialog with the following option:

image.png.aa324622117d4825721540d4d7afaa5d.png

“Nome”??

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, rubs said:

That's Portuguese for "name"

I suspected as much, but “Embed Picture” and “Link Picture” don’t look like Portuguese. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I suspected as much, but “Embed Picture” and “Link Picture” don’t look like Portuguese. ;)

Right! That's probably because Windows is in pt-br and Affinity Designer is set to en-us. (Serif's Portuguese translations are quite bad.)

30 minutes ago, rubs said:

(Serif's Portuguese translations are quite bad.)

Have you filed bug reports about any of them? (I’d be surprised if @MEB hasn’t reported a few.)

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, Sean P said:

That said I still don't believe the message should appear at all

But look at what I got today in AD 1.7.1.404:

Designer_2019-06-25_10-39-35.png.6cd4f1424057e8f09148d90855ddd19f.png

And this time it does work as expected, replacing images and all. So does this mean that finally AD has got linked images? Or it shouldn't appear at all? I'm still confused.

• Staff
17 hours ago, rubs said:

But look at what I got today in AD 1.7.1.404:

Designer_2019-06-25_10-39-35.png.6cd4f1424057e8f09148d90855ddd19f.png

And this time it does work as expected, replacing images and all. So does this mean that finally AD has got linked images? Or it shouldn't appear at all? I'm still confused.

The 'Resource Manager' button on that dialog was added quite late to Publisher which trickled into Designer where it shouldn't be visible. This is something that I had passed on to development.

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

The 'Resource Manager' button on that dialog was added quite late to Publisher which trickled into Designer where it shouldn't be visible. This is something that I had passed on to development.

So the safe bet would be to just ignore the message and assume the images are in the document?

• Staff
Just now, rubs said:

So the safe bet would be to just ignore the message and assume the images are in the document?

If it is reporting they're missing then I would look at locating them to ensure they're embedded. But bear in mind Linked Image is not yet a Designer 'supported' feature and is just 'revealed' due to a couple of small bugs!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.