You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using affinity softwares on a laptop i control but don't own (at work)

Hello,

I'd like to know if i'm allowed to install and use my affinity softwares on my computer at work.

I don't own the computer at work, it's the company i work for property. But i use the same computer everyday.

Also, i'm working as a computer engineer, so my main task is not designing here, in fact i don't do design at all for my work, but i'd like to be able to do some design at my work during my spare time.

Have I the right to do that, or should i better go buy a laptop for this purpose and bring it with me at work?

Cheers,

Alex

14 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Our licence states a computer you own or control.  From everything you've said, it sounds like you 'control' the computer at work and you'd be fine installing Affinity on that PC, providing you are the only user :) 

Presumably this only applies because Alex isn’t doing design work as an employee. In previous discussions it has been pointed out that your employer ultimately controls a work PC owned or leased by them, even if you are the only user and you therefore have day-to-day control of the machine.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
57 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Presumably this only applies because Alex isn’t doing design work as an employee.

That's correct.  

@Acapulco Yup you'd be able to install it on your laptop.  The issue would come if you wanted to install it on a PC you didn't own or control, say a friends PC or a family members PC, who want to use it for commercial work, then they would need their own licence :) 

As I understand it, for licensing purposes "control" refers to controlling who uses the licensed software. So here, if the company allows others to use it for commercial work, the company would need to purchase a license. Right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Presumably this only applies because Alex isn’t doing design work as an employee. In previous discussions it has been pointed out that your employer ultimately controls a work PC owned or leased by them, even if you are the only user and you therefore have day-to-day control of the machine.

Whether you are doing design work as an employee or just casually using the program in your spare time should not alter who ultimately controls a work PC.

I think Serif are just being nice in this case.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Whether you are doing design work as an employee or just casually using the program in your spare time should not alter who ultimately controls a work PC.

*does not

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I think Serif are just being nice in this case.

I think you may be right!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)