I occasionally produce documents where word count is important -- for example, I might write an article for a local publication which someone else wishes to publish on line as long as I can keep it within a specified word count.

I recently also asked someone else to write a brief piece for a newsletter where the space was limited. To give my writer an approximate word count, I had to copy the text from an earlier issue into Word and use the word count  from there.

InDesign has a built-in "Info" tool which is far more convenient.

I'm running into this exact same issue right now with a publication layout. Word count feels like a simple add that would be immeasurably helpful to some people.

I'm sure word count could be provided, but to me it doesn't seem as simple as one might think.

Total words in the document? Including repeated use of the word "Page" in footers?

Words in one particular text frame? Or including any linked text frames?

Words in a paragraph? Or in a sentence? Or in a selection?

Words on all document pages, but not including any words that came from master pages?

Something else? Or any of the above, depending on options chosen by the user?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta

All of it presented as table... but yes, this is more feature of a word processor, but as OP said sometimes useful in layout tool too.

13 minutes ago, Fixx said:

All of it presented as table... but yes, this is more feature of a word processor, but as OP said sometimes useful in layout tool too.

Yes.

Mainly I was pointing out that it's not necessarily a simple function to add, given the various ways that words might need to be counted to satisfy everyone.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta

I can barely believe Aff Publisher has no Word Count, when even Apple's Pages has a perfectly usable version visible all the time (if selected) and able to provide either total wordage for the document or a sub-total for any selected text, both of which are easily and prominently displayed.

Work-arounds that involve going in and out of other applications, copying and pasting and goodness knows what else, miss the point completely.

Word processor character count is used daily. I need word/character count in layout applications maybe once in a year. I think it is for most users the same. Thus using workarounds hardly matter.