You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ADesigner - Gold and Silver letters

I am using the Baskerville BT font on top of a very very dark dark blue top -to- dark blue bottom gradient rectangle. I want the Baskerville BT to look like it is (raised letter) silver or (raised letter) gold lettering. It is important that the silver and gold lettering look as realistic (shiny) to their respective metals as possible. I do not want any drop shading. I've experimented but can't come close.

Would someone mind teaching me how to do that in AD 1.6.5.135 or at the least get me started in the right direction?

Etc. from search: "designer gold text site:forum.affinity.serif.com".

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Does it need to be all vector?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Does it need to be all vector?

To tell you the truth - I don't know how to answer that -or- for what reason to choose one over the other. I do know that I want to be able to convert to curves and use the node tool to alter.

7 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Etc. from search: "designer gold text site:forum.affinity.serif.com".

Thank you for this reply. I have already starting watching the tutorials and they do seem to offer some assistance. I will continue to watch and see where they take me.

Gold: Affinity Designer Text Effect Tutorial #1

Simple Gold: Affinity Designer Text Effect Tutorial #4

These two videos (as referenced by Psenda in Post #2 of this thread) do show good potential for creating what I am looking for. However, they do require quite extensive workups. My next question is this: Is there any way to create a macro or a script so that the satisfied end result can just simply be applied to any font? It is tough absorbing the reality of repeating all these steps every time I want 3D gold lettering.

3 hours ago, Dekade said:

repeating all these steps every time

You can try to create a Style, or you can do a Master document, and copy the prepaired text from it.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/styles.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

16 hours ago, Dekade said:

To tell you the truth - I don't know how to answer that -or- for what reason to choose one over the other. I do know that I want to be able to convert to curves and use the node tool to alter.

Sounds like you want all vector. Drawing purely with shapes of colour to simulate reflection, light, shade and hue changes would be vector based using transparency in the 1.7 beta version would keep the artwork vector, using any layer LayersTabFxIcon_lightui.png.a9df549c0a47b7367f6e13b574b1bc21.png would rasterise the work.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I also have Affinity Photo. I was originally in AP and wanted to apply a special gold and silver text on top of a photo. Then I decided to go into AD to design (or find - which I didn't) a gold raised letter text and a silver raised letter text which prompted this thread. Should I or should I not be designing text using AD and then sending it as a style back over to AP? Or, should I go visa versa? I've noticed that some text in AP (when I zoom way in) is really pixelated. Not so in AD; not really understanding why.

Just trying to get directed in the right direction before getting too in depth in one app or the other for designing the text I want.

If you look at the view modes in Designer, on the Mac, there are 4 view modes, pixel, pixel (retina), vector and outline. If you switch between them, you will notice that you have representations in Photo that are similar to the pixel views in Designer. Designer is made to let one makes shapes to the maximum that can be displayed at different zoom levels in the vector modes. The pixel representation is limited to high definition at 100% zoom. When the vectors are transferred to Photo, they can only be represented in their pixellated form.

If you are familiar w. music, consider this analogy. A stretched string will produce hundreds or thousands of individual notes, depending on where it is stopped. But a piano uses a set of 12 strings of certain proportions of the much larger number. That is similar to the difference between vector and raster graphics. You can have many thousands of points along a line, or 144, which is the current maximum for computer displays on the market.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

32 minutes ago, gdenby said:

If you look at the view modes in Designer, on the Mac, . . .which is the current maximum for computer displays on the market.

So, I realize AP can do a lot with text on photos. However, when working on a project similar to stuff like a music album or book cover or public poster etc. - Is it best to do that work in AP or take the photo into AD and do all the fancy stuff onto the photo in there. I realize this is elementary for most all of you, but as an Affinity beginner I'm trying to zero in when and where to BEST use which.

None of this is really elementary. Work has been done on these problems for at least 30 years.

This is an over simplification. If the project depends on photo or artistic images, Photo will probably be better. If clean shapes, smooth gradients, and transparency fades on those do most of the job, go w. Designer. But most work has some overlap, so both apps have elements of the other.

To choose the starting point.

If you want to make an image that depends on a photographic, or at least photo derived picture, start w. Photo. It has many tools for making adjustments to all aspects of color. If the image needs some shape manipulations, such as blurs, or shape corrections or distortions, Photo is made for that. One can then add text, or shape design elements like logos.

Designer is better suited to making vector shapes, and laying them out within various spaces, such as business cards, or mobile device screens. Or (something of which I do very little) isometric mechanical/architectural renderings. It does do some image processing, but nothing as extensive as Photo does.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet